Folding Stock/Chassis, recommendations?

Smokinghole

I've been looking around. Any companies that I've missed? Trying to get a good idea of what's out there for available choices.

I working with Rem700 LA footprint.

Here's the list I've found:
Cadex Defense a few models
Manners a few models
XLR basically the same but different handguards
KRG Whiskey 3
Sisk STAR (seems most unique and I'm oddly drawn to it)
Accurate Mag (not much user feedback online like the Sisk STAR)
McRees

Anyone have input on these companies listed. Cadex is the priciest, and I think XLR or Accurate Mag is on the lower price point depending on how it's configured. My concern is how solid the folder lockup is over time. I recognize the Sisk STAR isn't a folder but it meets my needs in that buttstock easily disconnects. The weights vary from ~3.5lbs to 4.5lbs.

Smokinghole,

Don't forget APO:

http://www.ashburyprecisionordnance...justable-shoulder-stock-for-break-down-rifle/

This is their newest version of a take down rifle but they have fully foldable chassis as well. These are not the least expensive but they are the most comfortable stocks I own. I am currently using their Carbon Fiber Mod 1 for Defiance actions. One plus is the potential for switching the action section out for a different length action but be sure to call to check first. I did this for a competition rifle and it works quite well for me as I have both the short action and a long magnum action. Their customer service is excellent!

You might do a search for threads about chassis, although the longest one is confused by a couple of the naysayers who are simply out of touch.

I have everything from the Manners traditional shaped folding stock to some of the weirdest contraptions devised by man. Most I like but there are a couple which are just plain uncomfortable to shoot. I like the MDT for the variety and their buttstocks but most of the forearms are too short for the barrel lengths I like to use. They apparently cater to all of the 18", 20" and 22" barreled actions from the factory folks. However, XLR steps up with a good selection and decent introductory prices for the first level chassis.

The premier chassis though is the J. Allen JAE 700 (and XL). Very expensive and slightly overweight but extremely comfortable for my shooting style and physique.

http://www.jallenglobal.com/
http://www.jallenglobal.com/
Try to get out to some matches where chassis are likely to be in use to see if the owners will let you handle them before making a decision.

Regards.

I actually have MPA bookmarked, but forgot to type them into the list. I actually forgot about APO despite having been on their site a number of times.

Anyone at least handle the Sisk STAR? At 3.8lbs with the adjustability and features it seems pretty cool.

I'm far from a traditionalist, I'm all about practicality. In fact a reason I'm interested in takedown/folders is due to my safe. It's a 1760lb TL30 but the inside height is only 43". I traded 5 cases of beer for it, and even got to borrow the wheeled moving jacks to drop it off at my house. See, practical.

My PRS rifle has an MPA competition chassis. I like it so much that I have an MPA Lite on order for a 6.5x284 LR hunting rifle I'm building. The total weight should come around 11# fully loaded with a light varmint contour barrel.
E068F6F1-F762-494B-905F-243D9BE24D1E.jpeg

I live in Harrisburg and the Great American Outdoor Show is in town this week. I'll have to swing by to check if anyone has to the MPA on a table for me to play with.

I wanted to go anyway to check scopes out for future purchases.

So what does your setup weigh without the can?

As seen minus can, bipod, magazine is 13.6 lbs.

Components
- BHA SR2 LA with integrated recoil lug, 20 MOA rail
- XLR element with folding adapter
- Lilja 27" HV contour
- Burris XTR 30MM signature rings with insert
- IOR Valdada 4-14X scope 30MM

Last edited:
I didn't get to see much at the Great American Outdoor Show.

Others might find interest in this.

MPA is releasing a Hybrid Chassis, that's light like the Lite but longer and has weights you can add. Pending the price I might go that route. I can add weight for recoil reduction when plinking and then go bare chassis for hunting weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.