Flying with Guns

twt17

I don't fly a lot with guns but I have thought about it a lot. When running through scenarios in my mind, I've considered cutting a small slit in the side of the foam and inserting an AirTag or some sort of locater device. Attempting to hide it out of plain sight if someone were to get in there. Has anyone done this?

I read a thread just this week on the AfricaHunting.com forum talking about this exactly. General consensus on the aforementioned thread is that a lot of those guys do it. There were even two contributors that claimed to have helped the airlines locate their lost baggage & ultimately recover it due to the air tag. I've not personally done it, but I absolutely will do so every time I fly with guns in the future.

Yes do something like this. We had our Rifles stolen at the Johannesburg Airport in South Africa on our first Hunting Safari in 2006. I caught our rifle case being loaded on to a truck off of the loading docks in baggage. Our rifles were missing for hours and I was frantic running to baggage areas of the Airport. The areas were fenced off by chain-link fence for security. I just happened to look through the links of the fence and in the distance of the loading area, I saw our Big Shiny Aluminum Gun Case being loaded on to a truck. Had the SA & Airport Police stop the truck from leaving the Baggage area. Would have ruined our first hunt to Africa.
Back then didn't know about this technology. Our next trip will have several trackers in the case on the rifle and inside the stock behind the butt plate.