Florida Hogs

I lived outside of Jacksonville for 6 years and there were plenty of hogs. You can find hogs anywhere near water. I even saw them in a construction area near the St. John's Town Center, which is in the middle of a ton of development. Hogs don't have sweat glands, so they have to have access to water/mud to help keep cool. Try to find land near a swamp, creek, or river. They will come out during the middle of the day, but it is MUCH easier to find them at dawn and dusk.

I'm not sure what the baiting laws are in FL for hogs, but if you can put corn out, it will help bring them to you. Take post hole diggers, dig a hole as deep as you can, fill it with corn, and give it a few days. If there are hogs in the area, they will find the corn. You can put attractant powders in the corn, but you don't need to. Hogs have an incredible sense of smell, and will find the corn within a few days if they are in the area. Unless you have video game like shooting skills, you will only get a few shots off before they haul butt and leave. Hogs are very quick, and will leave the area in seconds. Stay put, since they will come back to the same bait pile after a little while.

Go for head shots. They are tough little ba@%)&$s, and can absorb more damage then you'd think. I shot one several years ago (center mass) with a .338 LM and did not recover him. They do not run with head shots. They have a small lung cavity, so if you hit them a few inches behind their front leg, you will just hit the paunch. I prefer Barnes bullets.

Think they have cleaned up the hogs in the area you are talking about. Ive been down that way a bunch but they had wiped them out now. I have perfect land and water for hogs but no hogs. Everyone has ten 20acres and kills everything that moves through. I have even been contacting the dnr but no dice pigs are about gone here. Maybe it was our past two winters where the snow is sac high all winter.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.