Flashlight

For butchering an elk or walking in the woods, 200 lumens is plenty. For chasing bear or spotting a mountain lions trrying to sneak up on you while butchering a deer or trying to bushwhack trail and prevent yourself from cliffing out, a spotlight is better. Either way, it has to be a headlamp. Do you butcher with one hand or hold the flashlight your mouth while butchering? Headlamps rule, and I always have a spare. The key is a switch that doesn't turn the light on in your pack. I was walking back in the dark on an aoudad hunt and my buddy had 3 big flashlights, and none of them worked. I've had several UK mini dive lights, but they eventually corroded and quit working. I use the lime green Everyready headlamp. I use the red light when walking in the dark across elk meadows. Many believe elk can't see color.
Good point!

Surefire E2D LED Defender Ultra is tough to beat on an Elk hunt. Surefire E1B Backup, should be in a pants pocket too. Have a 12-pack of those CR123A batteries, like $24 bucks, sprinkled around in backpacks and the truck and tent. Back in camp or in truck, Streamlight has a Microsteam USB for about $37 bucks, it's a 10 out of 10. Think in 50 years went from that 2-D cell angled red filter US military, could barely read a map by that thing, then progression of 7-D cell Maglites on down to their AAA models, to a few Streamlights, then onto to Surefire. All of these have been great flashlights for the work they did, and the battery costs are just a way of buying daylight when ya need a few extra hours of it. Good luck on your pick.

A backup for your backup is my answer. I use a Fenix PD as my primary light but I also carry a high end headlight that can last for hours while following a trail and leaves your hands free.
Oddly enough, the light I use the most is a little Browning that clips onto the brim of my cap.

For a headlamp I really like zebra light. Several modes. Takes the same 18650 rechargeable as my fenix.

We can give recommendations all day. There are a lot of different brands that will fit the bill. It comes down to what works for you. I really like my fenix. I carry it in my turnouts and another everyday. Shorts, blue jeans, doesn't matter. Another poster says he hates it. I get it. What works for one won't always work for another. I say try to get in a big store that carries a bunch of brands and get your hands on them. Just my free advice.

I have stuff surefire and stream light sidewinders that work as regular all purpose high abuse flashlights. MY issue is finding a bulletproof headlamp, with long runtime, at least 500 lumens and can handle cold and wet. I would assume…not rechargeable.

Best so far has been a Princeton tec apex, with lithium AA. It's what I carry backpacking and a stream light as a backup.

Petzl Actik Core, rechargeable USB or AAA, headlamp that's Nukpruff gear. $50 bucks or so at all the regular places, it's going along , in the stuff that works saddlebag .

I am still rocking a couple of the original Surefire G2 incandescents with Malkoff replacement led inserts, the original insert and one of his newer higher lumen led insert with more refined hotspot and less spill. Although, looking at his website, he doesn't appear to offer either version I have.

I'd be willing to bet these are well close to 20yrs old, I remember when they came out and thought that would be pretty slick. One is camo and the other tan, I had a third that I thought would be easy to find, the orange, I lost it. Kinda surprised I still have these 2 and haven't lost them.

Last edited:
What is the best flashlight that will never let you down even in the rain or snow
I really like streamlight. I have 2 rechargeable spotlights and 3 flashlights. But I'm pretty sure anything that we humans design and make especially battery powered will let you down sooner or later. Just the nature of the beast Mother Nature tends to win!!!!

None come close is a little strong. There are many great lights out there. For comparison, the UK SL4, with 600 lumens, 4 C batteries, 15 ounces, $125, and the Fenix E18R, 750 lumens, magnetic rechargeable or CR123, 1.65 ounces, $65. You don't necessarily need a light waterproof to 500ft depth for EDC or hunting.
It is a strong remark. It is born of my experience, as expressed. I stand by it. I didn't know this was a brand loyalty sales debate.

I've written a few replies on this thread. What I'd like to add is that if I cannot carry extra batteries in my pocket to get my flashlight up and running again I consider the flashlight useless. I use a Surefire headlamp and a Surefire tactical flashlight. Both lights use the 123 batteries. I carry two sets of batteries one set in the backpack and one set in my pocket. The sets are held together with about 2 feet of duct tape that have been torn to the same width as the batteries, so they do double duty. I have yet to find a USB port hanging off a tree limb where I'm hunting!!