FL size and decap only.

I have a RCBS 6.5 Creedmoor die.
I want to use it to FL resize and decap, but not expand. I am going to use a neck sizing mandrel to expand.
Anybody have a recommendation on a decap rod/unit that I can put in this die that does not have the expander ball?

Firstly, take the decapping stem out and size a case then measure the neck OD.
Then size another case with the expander in and again measure the neck OD.
The difference is how much your die is moving the neck.
If it is moving the neck more than .004", then you need a new plan.
Excessive neck sizing, either inwards or outwards, is to be avoided at every turn.
I use dies with honed necks so I can control how much movement is going on before I mandrel to finished size.
If I move my neck .002", there will be .001" spring back, so then my mandrel is set .002" over this and then there will be another .001" spring back giving me a total of moving .002" in either direction.
I use expanders, don't even feel them passing through the neck.
To alter an expander, use a battery drill, spin it max RPM and polish the expander with 400 grit wet/dry paper and plenty of WD40. Measure often until you get what you want.

Cheers.

Thanks! Finally got a call from RCBS. They recommend putting a 6mm decap in it so it doesn't touch the neck. As recommended here. I will also play around with a few cases measuring how much things are moving.

Excessive neck sizing, either inwards or outwards, is to be avoided at every turn.
I use dies with honed necks so I can control how much movement is going on before I mandrel to finished size.
If I move my neck .002", there will be .001" spring back, so then my mandrel is set .002" over this and then there will be another .001" spring back giving me a total of moving .002" in either direction.
To alter an expander, use a battery drill, spin it max RPM and polish the expander with 400 grit wet/dry paper and plenty of WD40. Measure often until you get what you want.

Cheers.
Do you

Cheers.
Do you anneal your brass as well?

Yes, I anneal my brass.
My comp brass is annealed every firing and my varmint rifles every other firing and hunting rifles with factory chambers every 5th loading.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.