Fitting a Rem 700 in a McMillan A-5

thrusty

Hi All,

Background on the rifle: Rem 700 AAC-SD .308, Timney trigger, Badger M5 bottom metal, Badger Bolt knob...everything else is factory. Mcmillan Adj. A-5 is pillar bedded and ordered direct from McM custom made for this gun.

I just got a new McMillan adjustable A-5...first off, the fit and feel of it is fantastic and exactly what I was looking for. This was my first McMillan so forgive me for my question...

The cheap hogue stock that came with the rifle shot great - sub-moa and, in most cases, even better with my handloads.

Once I dropped the action into the A-5 I noticed it looked like it didn't want to line up dead-center...mainly because the Badger bottom metal screw holes wouldn't allow it. The barrel was close to one side of the forearm inlet than the other...but I centered it the best I could by holding the barrel to one side and torquing the screws...I stood the stock up on it's butt, let the recoil lug go all the way back and tightened the front screw up first.

I torqued the bottom metal to Badger's specs (65 in/lbs) and shot a 3-inch, 5-shot group (horrible)....long story short, 45 in/lbs was the magic number on the bottom metal to get the groups to start touching again.

Finally my main question:
McMillan suggests that you shouldn't need to bed their stocks...I'm thinking that the way my action fits that I'm not doing something right or this thing needs some serious bedding. I've spent hours and lots of ammo just to get it to shoot (almost) as good as the hogue stock would. I thought that the A-5 would be custom to a remington action and it should litterly fit without having to fiddle with it?

If I just lay the barreled-action in the stock with the Badger bottom metal screw holes lined up and torque....I may or may not be able to the broad-side of a barn.

Question two....On the adjustable cheek piece there is an inlet cut to help you remove the bolt....Is it supposed to be off-center and kind-of crooked? See photo below...

Question three...It's a marble color, and I realize it's "field-grade", but I'm starting to see little patches of missing fiberglass...like it's been scrached and dented from lots of hard field use. Is this normal? The stock is not more than a week old and hasn't left the range bench.

img2012072100036.jpg

While McMillan brags that their stocks don't have to be bedded, they recommend that you do as well as using pillars. They told me this when I visited their facility recently. If I were you I would contact them. They stand by their products and customer service is second to none.

My suggestion is to send the stock and the barreled action to us, attn Kelly McMillan, and I will personally make sure it is right when we send it back.

My suggestion is to send the stock and the barreled action to us, attn Kelly McMillan, and I will personally make sure it is right when we send it back.

Thank you Kelly. I really appreciate your top-notch service. I will send you a PM with my info.

I'm now also wondering if other A-5's on a Remington 700 action have this much room where the tang sits? My action looks like I could move it back a lot more and turn it to the left...I can't due to the holes that line up with my bottom metal.

img2012072200038.jpg

Thrusty,

Here are some pictures to compare. Brand new McMillan A5, R700 SPS-T AAC-SD as well. Your cheekpiece cutout is indeed off-center. My stock too has little pieces of missing fiberglass in a few places. The action appears to center itself nicely, I am also using a Badger DBM. I haven't shot it yet, just mounted the scope today, but if I have anything related to torque specifics, I will let you know.

IMG_9171.jpg

IMG_9174.jpg

IMG_9176.jpg

IMG_9179.jpg

photo 1-6.jpg

photo 2-6.jpg

Thanks bartlettjw... unfortunately, you confirmed my suspicions.

Regardless, my barreled action and new A-5 has been at McMillan's since 7/30/12.

Haven't heard back from Kelly yet...but, I have faith he will make it right. Just hope it's not another 4-month wait - still plenty of shootin' left before winter. gun)

Just wanted to make an update...

I received my gun and A-5 back from McMillan on 8/16/12.

Fit of the barreled action looks dead center and perfect now. I'm assuming that McM re-inletted it for my receiver (correctly this time).

The bolt removal inlet on the cheekpiece was left alone...it's an easy fix that I can do If I need....I'm not worried about it as it doesn't affect the gun's function.

The imperfections on the molded stock are typical...again, I'm not worried about it.

Took the gun to the range and it shoots better than it ever did. Just about anything you stick down the pipe shoots sub-MOA at 100yrds.
Fed 168 GM, 155 Scenars, 167 Scenars, 168 A-Max, 175 SMKs...they all work great. First time I ever had to use a caliper on all of my load development to figure out which one was best.

Thanks Kelly for your great customer service in resolving my problem. I love the stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts