First Va Bird this year

HighKnob

Was about half way up the ridge listening. A bird gobbled across the valley, maybe 800 yards. I sat and listened to him for maybe 15 minutes and nothing else going on. Was just thinking about heading toward him when one gobbled on top of the ridge, maybe 200 yards to my left. I picked up and headed to the top on an angle away from the bird. It was alread daylight and didn't want him to see me huffing and puffing up the hill. Got to the top and set up, lots of blow down and starting to green up a bit here. I called and he closed a hundred yards in a hurry. With very little calling and a lot of time he finally got to about 80 yards and hung up struting and gobbling. It started raining, though it wasn't supposed to, and me without any rain gear. After the first 15 minutes of the hard rain had stopped he gobbled again and started strutting. I cut at him and here he came. First bird with the new 870, 20 gauge and it was close to 40 yds. Didn't get to weigh him, but he had 11" beard and 1" spurs, and i'd guess him at about 20#. Not a very good pic, bird and I both were soaked.
2010TurkeySeason020.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.