First time loading - Hornady 150 eld-x and N160? Tikka T3x

This may help

Sounds like planned failure to me!
I'm just curious so plz best with me.. both hornady and vi post same numbers..

N160 listed up to 139, from 150 up n165 takes over but I think N160 can still work for 150gr..

Same numbers 150gr eldx:

Screenshot_20230101-054747_Hornady Reloading.jpg

139 data shows N160

Screenshot_20230101-054709_Hornady Reloading.jpg

As someone new always being told follow published data why the failure comment? I just want to learn in not trying to be a jerk or anything.. 58 puts me at the high end/max on vi and hornadys charts.. why is your data different?

Last edited:
This may help

That's for 120gr. I'm loading 150.. ?

My question is the gn loads - member above is telling me 56 is setting up for failure and im trying to understand the variation from books to what is being posted.. so far all the data shows loads around 52-58 for N160.. i dont have the means to measure this stuff but we are planning to go and shoot alot of ammo soon on paper and see where things hit...

Looking at Hornady data and the Nosler I'd start around 55-56 and work up in half grain increments checking for pressure. I think Hornady data is way to the safe side. I think your on the right track and Nosler data is very promising showing good velocity and accuracy. Load them up and go shooting. Good luck and look forward to hearing about your results.

Key to success is to establish where the pressure is for your bullet/ load combo. If you are not willing to do this, you are indeed going to waste hundreds of rounds with many hours of barrel cleaning.

Once you find pressure, back off 3g and work up in .3-.5g increments in three shot groups.

I have had much better accuracy success with 154g Hornady sp, and 150g Sierra spt, than the 154g Interbonds. I have yet to shoot any of the 5 boxes of the 150g Hornady ELD-X that I purchased.

In the Barnes bullets, 120 and 140g TTSX are very easy to tune in all of my 7 Mags, seated .050 off the lands.

N160 and N165 are great powders, just start off above mid-range powder load and work up, carefully to find pressure in your rifle.

Manuals are only an indication of pressure in their rifle barrel, with their particular lot number of components. Some barrels have more or less wear on them.

154g Hornady sp and 150g Sierra btsp like to be seated to within .005 of the lands or closer, and accuracy is where you can cover the group with dime at 100 yards with velocity in the 3150 fps+on 26" barrels.