150 eld-x and big game

fladeerhntr

Just wondering if anyone is loading this bullet and powder combo for their 7mm-08 and if so where did you find the data and what amount are you using? I looked at hornadys load data and they dont list any data for big game with this particular bullet. I'm probably gonna start off with IMR4064 since it's what I've got the most of and they do list data for it but I've got a couple pounds of big game that I'd also like to try.

I tried them in my 7mm-08, best groups were 46.0gr of RL16 and 45.5gr of RL17, both loads shot at 1 MOA at 100 yds, could not get them to group better so I moved on. No pressure signs with these two loads in my rifle.

I also tried H4350 and no luck, I went up to 46.5gr and no pressure.

All loads with Nosler brass and GM210M's at 2.80" coal. Hope this helps

Luis

At the time I used data from the Sierra Reloading App as a starting point, and worked it up from there.

The new Hornady Catalog App has more data on powders for all of their bullets. When I tried them the number of powders was limited, now it's lists 17 different powders for their 7mm 150gr and 154gr bullets in the 7mm-08.

Used STaBall with 7-08 ,22 inch barrel. Got 2885 FPS. Before I switched to Hammers. They killed deer but you had to trail them up. Small hole in small hole out, unless you hit spine. Even shoulder shots.Believe they would work better on larger game, big Midwest deer, Canadian deer, Elk ,etc.

Just wondering if anyone is loading this bullet and powder combo for their 7mm-08 and if so where did you find the data and what amount are you using? I looked at hornadys load data and they dont list any data for big game with this particular bullet. I'm probably gonna start off with IMR4064 since it's what I've got the most of and they do list data for it but I've got a couple pounds of big game that I'd also like to try.
My son shot, a 5X6 Idaho Bull at, 247 yards, with a 150 gr. ELD-X using a stiff load of RL-17 ( over 2,850 IIRC ) in a 7 MM-08, 22.4" Tikka Lite.
His Elk was at an Angle, across a Canyon, so the Bullet clipped, the near shoulder blade and lodged in the back, rear Ham, AFTER breaking the Femur Bone ( Great Penetration, with approx. 60% weight retention of, base / core & Flanged Jacket ). He used a second shot to "finish" him but, he wasn't going anywhere. They have, .037 Thick Jackets, tapered at Tip to Expand well and penetrate Deep. Son obtained 1/2 to 5/8th MOA groups with this Load, from his 7 pound Tikka. We use them, in other Cart's like, the 6.5 Creed and 6.5 PRC also ( the 143's ).
IMO, it's a good, Shoulder Bone, breaking bullet, AND they LIKE to "Jump" at, magazine lengths ! Good luck, hope this "Help's" !

Last edited:
7-08 and 150 ELD x's @ 2885

Not sure firearm Sav model 116 Stainless 20"
MAG V crono Alt 750 @ 95*
Only Lapua Brass
CCI 200
Win 760
CBTO 2.221
COAL 2.880
Vel @ 2885
SD @ 3FPS

Prints nice sub 3 inch at 500

I've chosen the 143 gr ELD-X's @ 2,735 FPS for my, 6.5 Creed., "Hunting Load" and hopefully, I get to try them out on, a central Idaho, Whitetail,..
in November.

7-08 and 150 ELD x's @ 2885

Not sure firearm Sav model 116 Stainless 20"
MAG V crono Alt 750 @ 95*
Only Lapua Brass
CCI 200
Win 760
CBTO 2.221
COAL 2.880
Vel @ 2885
SD @ 3FPS

Prints nice sub 3 inch at 500
That's pretty good for 500 yards. My shots would mostly be between 100-200 yards 300 at the max. I'll be trying them in a Winchester model 70 extreme weather. Since my original post I've also loaded up some Barnes 120 grain ttsx over big game to try in this same rifle.