First time loading - Hornady 150 eld-x and N160? Tikka T3x

CamaroMan

Hi there - finally got all my supplies and parts- experimented with an empty case we fired, perfect length for 7mm RM.. Where would you all recommend I start with N160 powder and 150 Hornady eld-X?

Was reading this thread https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/7mm-remington-magnum-with-a-150gr-eld-x-data.179236/

and reload data for N160 here has some info- https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/rifle-reloading/?cartridge=74

Should I start with 50 or 54 as there is no data other than these 2(ie which one is more similar)?

And could i make say 4 loads of 50, 52 and 54 and compare at 100 yards? Primarily for deer hunting 200-400 yards in SoCal..

Thanks

1665244821118.png

Here is load data from the post I shared above and it was recommended to use 150-154 gr bullet data, but no N160 powder here:

20190213_091516-jpg.226913

150 ELD-X @ 360yrds, impact velocity of 2200fps 90lb doe. Sorry no skinned pictures20220101_171357.jpg20220101_164608.jpg

Since both of the bullets you referenced above, according to the Vihtavuori data you posted, have a max charge at about 60 grains, I would probably start at 54-55 grains and go up in .4 grain increments looking for velocity nodes with a chronograph. Another approach is to start with a mid range load and test for different seating depths accuracy first and then do the powder optimization.

Picking out four random powder charges and hoping to find an accurate load with one of them is not the way most find their preferred loads.

You may want to do some more reading about "Load Development" first before proceeding.

The bullet design and impact velocity determine meat damage to your game. It varies even between bullets of similar tip configurations. I suggest more research on recommended bullets for the game and location of your hunt, especially in CA as mentioned previously.

I would not start with that little powder charge with that powder and bullet combo. N160 burn rate on charts I have is right next to h4831 area. I would think 56g to start with.

Personally I'd look for a different powder that offered more case fill.
I know, bought this out of desperation at a gun show cos EVERYTHING online was out for months on end - so there it is.. will use this up and try another more common powder with more loads..

I would not start with that little powder charge with that powder and bullet combo. N160 burn rate on charts I have is right next to h4831 area. I would think 56g to start with.

Thanks - excellent ill go with that and see how it goes! H4831 was one of my first choices cos its al over the load data tables - esp for my caliber..

Since both of the bullets you referenced above, according to the Vihtavuori data you posted, have a max charge at about 60 grains, I would probably start at 54-55 grains and go up in .4 grain increments looking for velocity nodes with a chronograph. Another approach is to start with a mid range load and test for different seating depths accuracy first and then do the powder optimization.

Picking out four random powder charges and hoping to find an accurate load with one of them is not the way most find their preferred loads.

You may want to do some more reading about "Load Development" first before proceeding.

The bullet design and impact velocity determine meat damage to your game. It varies even between bullets of similar tip configurations. I suggest more research on recommended bullets for the game and location of your hunt, especially in CA as mentioned previously.

Thanks, yes I understand its not a straight answer, but was wondering if a slower heavier bullet might do less damage than a faster lighter bullet, tip design excluded.. my friend has had good luck with 150 on his 7mm RM, im on the low side of the ladder so learning as I go- this is just a side hobby for me :) I enjoy tinkering.. not that I really have that much time lol -

I shoot the 150-154's with a hot load of R#25, WINCHESTER MAG PRIMER, 3200 fps, Standard deviation less than 9 fps IF, and only if you use the win mag primer, Federal brass is too soft in the case head for this load. I seat the bullets touching or just barely off the lands with all Hornady and Nosler bullets, and could not get the 150gNosler long-range accubond to the group.

N160 is a great powder, and the best accuracy is very close to what is the max load for the gun, and I would never start at a minimum load, start mid-range and work up till you find pressure, the best accuracy will be very close to peak pressure. I shoot one shot and one shot only, increasing powder charge .5g, till I find pressure. I stand the brass up with the case head facing up, examining the roundness of the primer, dept of the case head lettering, and any type of case head scuffing, and paying close attention to bolt lift. I back off 2.5g from what I determine is a max load, and start shooting 3 shot groups right up to what I determined what was max pressure. I normally will find a super accurate load within 30 shots.

I don't give a hoot about damage on the game, I worry more about putting them on the ground. Stay 6" away from the shoulders if you want minimal meat damage or shoot them in the neck. Neck shooters usually like a higher-powered scope than body shooters. Barnes TTSX usually have less meat damage, and the 140g ttsx jumping .050 off the lands will get you a home run with many powders.

I, brothers, and friends have shot a LOT of the 154g Hornady Sp on deer, hogs, and elk, they just work like a partition.

Hi - back at the reloading bench today.. wanted to revisit starting load info (i emailed VV for load data and waiting to hear back), but the n160 loads seem to start in the low 50s for both 150 gr bullets listed below with a max load of 59 and 60, just a pimch above my 58-

Should I not start around mid 50s? Going to prep cases and wait for a reply from VV- but curious what you guys think..

1672510915464.png

Vit load data is so conservative it is a joke. Your most accurate load will be within 3g of what is Max load for your rifle.

Are you familiar with how to find max load for a rifle?

I have had great accuracy with 150g weights
IMR 4350
R22
the mack daddy super accurate loads are with Win Mag primers with R 25 right at a max load for the rifle, not book max

In all cases with Nosler ballistic tips, Nosler C T, 154g Hornady, and the 150g Sierra btsp. the most accurate load is with the bullet seated no more than .003 off of the lands. 150g Swift liked a .050 jump.

I have yet to shoot the ELD X

Vit load data is so conservative it is a joke. Your most accurate load will be within 3g of what is Max load for your rifle.

Are you familiar with how to find max load for a rifle?

I have had great accuracy with 150g weights
IMR 4350
R22
the mack daddy super accurate loads are with Win Mag primers with R 25 right at a max load for the rifle, not book max

In all cases with Nosler ballistic tips, Nosler C T, 154g Hornady, and the 150g Sierra btsp. the most accurate load is with the bullet seated no more than .003 off of the lands. 150g Swift liked a .050 jump.

I have yet to shoot the ELD X

The info posted here for the same bullet reflects similar values that Vit165 on their site, the n160 is on average a few grains less..

This guy got gr8 results 62gr 150 barnes on N160.. uim thinking of doing some 56gr loads and comparing with the 58 i made last week-

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/looking-for-a-powder-recommendation-7mm-r-mag.49863/

20190213_091516-jpg.226913

Last edited: