First Long Range Rifle

I have a savage model 12 LRP in.260 rem and i love it. It is a heavy gun made for shooting prone of off a bench. Last year got a prairie dog at 800yds hopefully 1000 this year. no mater what my 2 cents is stick with savage.

no mater what my 2 cents is stick with savage.

Very good advice here from A Train.

I have Model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoore and last Saturday put 10 straight shots into 1/2" at 100 yards. The LRPs have the target action with target accutrigger with a drop box magazine. The target trigger can be adjusted down to about 6 ounces! Good for the bench but not so good in the field. I have mine set for 1.5 lb.

Also have a Model 12 VLP DPM in 300 WSM. Another good shooter. It will but 5 shoots in the 10 ring at 600 yards. Plenty accurate for almost what is the max kill range for the rifle. The Model 12 has a accutrigger that adjust down to 1.5 lbs. I have both the LRP and VLP set at 1.5 lbs. This gives me consistency in the field. The target accutrigger is notably crisper than the standard accutrigger. Also, the standard accutrigger is only adjustable down to 2.5 lb. I like the 1.5 lb. setting a little better.

I found a savage model 12 in 22-250 heavy barrel with a nikon 6x24x40sf fine cross hair with center dot (the dot is annoying) for 750.00 have not had chance to really check it out to see what it can do. Found it at local pawn shop. There are some really good deals out there if ya can find them good luck on search.

I just went through this debate myself. I decided on a used Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 creedmoore, rather than something new. I wasn't looking for a 6.5 or Savage.

This was a tough decision for me and been looking around for months debating on what to buy. I'm not loyal to one specific brand, but I do currently own three Remington products. I was not impressed looking at their newest rifles mainly the 700 SPS Varmit in 243, the action and trigger did not do it for me. I wanted to be up and shooting for around 1000$, trigger replacement and action truing would have pushed me over that mark and I would still need a decent stock. I've had Remington model 700s in the past and no longer have one.

I also considered the Winchester Model 70 Stealth in 243. They were un-obtainable no had one in town to handle it. I currently have a Model 70 shadow in 300 WSM, shoots good for a crappy plastic stock and light barrel, it's my hunting beat around rig. I've had this rifle for a long time, while my previous 700s came and went.

I've never owned a Savage but after handling a few, smooth action had me sold. The model (243 LRP) I wanted was going to be over budget out the door, so I started looking for used ones. A few months later I saw an ad for one, checked it out and bought it. The target accu trigger adjusted to 1.5 lbs, smooth action, 26" heavy fluted barrel detachable mag, HS stock mad me sold, it also came with a 20 MOA rail and threaded muzzle.

I guess the moral of the story is keep your options open, don't settle on one brand, don't put a deadline on purchase time or chambering. I'm not brand bashing just saying what I observed.

Thanks. What other Savage models interest you? What will you be shooting at with the model you purchased?

I've owned the Mod 12VLP. It went from a .308 to 300WSM back to .308. It was used for groundhog out to 1100yds. I was in the middle of getting ready to shoot F-T/R class. I had to sell it. I have the MKII FV 22LR. It is an amazingly accurate rifle. No mods what so ever and the right ammo will produce .25-5" groups at 50yds with ease. I currently have a Mod 12 LRPV in 22-250. It will be used for some F-open and varmint hunting. I expect 800yds will be the limit, but going to see if I can extend it farther than that. Eventually it will be made in to a 6mm or 6.5mm of some type. I have been discussing a 6mm-250. Sounds like an efficient, accurate little cartridge that will be easier on barrels than the 243 or 6XC.

Thanks for for all the information. I can't believe all the knowledge you guys have and how you are willing to share it. Thanks!!!

Thanks. What other Savage models interest you? What will you be shooting at with the model you purchased?

I was looking for a factory rifle with a heavy barrel, short action, something I can build up on if I wanted to. Another great feature of a Savage is that I'll be able to change my own barrels with a few tools I need to buy. New barrel when needed or new chamering if wanted. I'm new to the long range precision shooting and if it's not for me I'll be able to sell what I have and not get beat up too bad.

I'll be mostly shooting paper 100, 200 yards and eventually 1,000 yards. These distances are offered by a local range. I don't own land or know someone with enough land to go out past 1,000 yards.

The other Savage rifles I was looking at was the model 10 FCP-K, .308 heavy 24" barrel, accu trigger and accu stock. I was also looking at the model 12 VLP in .243.

I talked myself out of .308 because I already have one, and my .300 WSM will outshoot it. I wanted a .243 but didn't find one that fit the bill for what I wanted.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.