First Long Range Kill With Burris

Kyote2388

I have been taking deer for years with my Savage 110 243 excellent deer rifle. Last year I wanted to extend my range a bit so I purchased a Savage LRH in 25-06, I topped it originally with a Nikon that I have since put on my 243, I now have a Burris Eliminater mounted on the 06. I took my first long range kill late yesterday, 602 yds on a big doe. Used Federal 100 gr. Nosler BT. The Burris worked just as advertised, I couldn't believe how the deer folded up.

That Burris is probably the BEST LR scope out there for HUNTING. Glass is midgrade, but if you set it up right, nothing will run close to the speed and ease of the system. Fast and easy kills game.
I can range and hit with mine out to 1100 or so in under 3 seconds. That is hard to beat FOR GAME.
In a dial system you have to laze target. Input data into app for shot or consult dope. Adjust scope. Get on gun, find game, fire.
Using a reticle involves all of these steps minus the scope dialing, BUT you have to remember the hold, CHOOSE the CORRECT spot on reticle and fire.
A Burris, you look thru the scope, laze with scope (Much easier than a handheld BTW), hold wind on Horus and fire.
This type of scope is the FUTURE and someday NF, SB and others will jump on this and it will be scary.

In MT, scopes with built in RF are illegal for big game hunting.

I don't see anywhere in the regs that state that. I know there is/has been a lot of misinformation going around about scopes that have illuminated reticles being illegal, but I've called FWP about that specifically, and illuminated reticles are totally legal. And in fact, I just got off the phone with enforcement at FWP HQ, and he said that rangefinding riflescopes are perfectly legal. The only thing they're concerned with are lasers such as the Viridian or Crimson Trace that actually project a VISIBLE dot on the target. Invisible lasers are perfectly fine to use.

Source: Ron in Enforcement division of FWP.

To the OP--congrats on the fine shot! I've always been under the impression (mistaken?) that the eliminator was clunky/clumsy to use, but I guess not. I need to see if I can get my hands on one.

I have limited experience with mine for sure. A couple of weeks ago I took a coyote at 328 yds, I was on him with the Eliminator following him as he trotted up a field road, he stopped to look back at me and was ranged and shot in seconds, I knew then the system really workes. I had been shooting several rounds at my range and knew the accuracy was there but the coyote was my first hunting experience.

I have limited experience with mine for sure. A couple of weeks ago I took a coyote at 328 yds, I was on him with the Eliminator following him as he trotted up a field road, he stopped to look back at me and was ranged and shot in seconds, I knew then the system really workes. I had been shooting several rounds at my range and knew the accuracy was there but the coyote was my first hunting experience.
The speed of use with that scope is its real secret. Yeah it's UGLY, BULKY and the glass is mediocre.....BUT.....the speed you can take a shot with it makes up for a lot of that.

I don't see anywhere in the regs that state that. I know there is/has been a lot of misinformation going around about scopes that have illuminated reticles being illegal, but I've called FWP about that specifically, and illuminated reticles are totally legal. And in fact, I just got off the phone with enforcement at FWP HQ, and he said that rangefinding riflescopes are perfectly legal. The only thing they're concerned with are lasers such as the Viridian or Crimson Trace that actually project a VISIBLE dot on the target. Invisible lasers are perfectly fine to use.

To the OP--congrats on the fine shot! I've always been under the impression (mistaken?) that the eliminator was clunky/clumsy to use, but I guess not. I need to see if I can get my hands on one.

Extracted in part from my response on a separate thread ...

ADDED:

I just got off the phone with game warden Brett Logan and he did clarify light projection that might have led to misinterpretation that was provided to me at the time. The invisible (to our eyes) beam that RFs uses is OK, in other words (his), if you stick your hand in front of the scope and you do not see light projected, you're OK.

The bottom-line, when in doubt, ask, double check, follow-up, etc ... with proper authorities ... end-user's has that ultimate responsibility.

Cheers!

(http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/burris-eliminator-iii-best-game-scope-market-179433/)

The scope is clunky LOOKING.
Not clumsy to use. In fact it is the fastest easiest to use system out there BY FAR.
Very ugly and glass is acceptable but you would **** if you paid $1500 for one WITHOUT the RF, app and reticle. With all that $1500 seems like a bargain.
If I never had a reason to make a shot quicker than 1 minute, I probably wouldn't use one if for no other reason than they are ugly, heavy, have a scary mounting system and glass is mediocre.
However, a lot of potential opportunities are RIGHT NOW or NOT. The Burris will kill a lot of things RIGHT NOW that other systems will get you a range and nothing else.
Having to range, calc shot, get on gun, find game in scope, dial or hold off and fire is VASTLY slower than the Burris.
Maybe my usage is uncommon. I often get on multiple targets, moving and TIME is key. On this the Burris will be in a completely different league. Like the difference between a shotgun bead and an ATACR, laser and app.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.