First Hammer Bull

Chico guy

My son shot a nice WY Bull with my 280 AI I've been tinkering with this summer. First kill with Hammer bullets and info gleaned from the forum. Thanks
CA Ridgeline
143 Hammer Hunters with 62 gr RL 23 (63 of RL 26 also fantastic load)
Peterson Brass
2.684 BTO
Chrono at 3256 fps.

It was an amazing hunt with some ups and downs and plenty of work.

20221009_235809.jpgl2DP6EPF-97786511.jpeg

congrats! I just got back from a father and son elk hunt (first time elk hunting) good times!!

I'm interested in knowing how the 143 HH performed, how far was the shot, shot angle etc. ?
I'm using the same bullet in my 7mmSTW but due to a hard tumble we didn't get to use it to harvest our elk on this hunt, my 300UM got used instead..

I'm interested in knowing how the 143 HH performed, how far was the shot, shot angle etc. ?
I'm using the same bullet in my 7mmSTW but due to a hard tumble we didn't get to use it to harvest our elk on this hunt, my 300UM got used instead..
The shot was broadside 285 uphill around 25' or so.
What I've loved about Hammers is accuracy at the range, but my son's first shot was high (it was a wild few minutes before shot). It worked out because the shot clipped the CNS and the Bull dropped. I told him to shoot again if he got up. The bull lifted up on his front legs quartered to us. A second shot in front of the shoulder passed through the heart and jellied the lungs exiting through to top of the off shoulder. Even though the first shot wasn't ideal the meat loss was less than I expected and have seen with other bullets with similar shots. The off shoulder had a hole through top of scapula with very little blood shot.

The shot was broadside 285 uphill around 25' or so.
What I've loved about Hammers is accuracy at the range, but my son's first shot was high (it was a wild few minutes before shot). It worked out because the shot clipped the CNS and the Bull dropped. I told him to shoot again if he got up. The bull lifted up on his front legs quartered to us. A second shot in front of the shoulder passed through the heart and jellied the lungs exiting through to top of the off shoulder. Even though the first shot wasn't ideal the meat loss was less than I expected and have seen with other bullets with similar shots. The off shoulder had a hole through top of scapula with very little blood shot.
thanks for the feedback!

My son shot a nice WY Bull with my 280 AI I've been tinkering with this summer. First kill with Hammer bullets and info gleaned from the forum. Thanks
CA Ridgeline
143 Hammer Hunters with 62 gr RL 23 (63 of RL 26 also fantastic load)
Peterson Brass
2.684 BTO
Chrono at 3256 fps.

It was an amazing hunt with some ups and downs and plenty of work.

View attachment 401219View attachment 401221
Looks like an awesome bull! Congrats 👏
I wanna hear about the apparent rodeo before the shot 🤠