First Deer In A Few Years

I admittedly was a bit conservative on my hold- I should have held about 2" higher & about 4" further back.

This is the first time I've shot something other than paper with this little Ruger predator.
Per the above, I think you've already figured it out. Don't hit the shoulder or hip bones or you will lose most of the meat. Shoot them through the ribs if you want to save meat. Some folks are terrified of tracking an animal so they shoulder shoot. That's really the only reason to aim for the shoulder. The vital organs, which most don't eat, are aft of the shoulder. Really any bullet will kill them if you hit the vitals with the recommended ft lbs of energy for the bullet to expand.

Per the above, I think you've already figured it out. Don't hit the shoulder or hip bones or you will lose most of the meat. Shoot them through the ribs if you want to save meat. Some folks are terrified of tracking an animal so they shoulder shoot. That's really the only reason to aim for the shoulder. The vital organs, which most don't eat, are aft of the shoulder. Really any bullet will kill them if you hit the vitals with the recommended ft lbs of energy for the bullet to expand.
You are correct in that I want an ethical, quick kill with preferably no tracking.

I normally use the shoulder/front leg as a plumb line & elevation at 4-6" below the top of the back.

I'll probably go back to that point of aim & let it ride.

Only ran 20 yards this time.

Attachments

• CBC938AD-C37A-4BE9-8F06-13C66E70672A.jpeg
    CBC938AD-C37A-4BE9-8F06-13C66E70672A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 35
We use the 140gr Ballistic tips at between 2700 and 2800fps in our 7mm-08's. They'll still blood shoot a bit up close but not that bad. I prefer a little extra shrapnel when the kids are shooting as some of the shots aren't absolutely perfect, still lethal, just off a little. Seems to shorten the trail to the dead deer.