First day out, ever. Questions

smallbutfierce

Up here in Maine the deer season is finally over, and it is finally starting to get colder. I hit up a spot that I have been scouting all deer season, even saw a couple in the daytime when grouse hunting. Today, nothing. Now, wind was from the south, not normal, and it was a bright moon lastnight(night season doesn't start till wed). I set up with a good view of a large field, made it so that if they tried to wind me I would be able to see them. I took all the steps to make the approach quiet, scent controlled, and concealed myself. I have been hesitant to start because the coyotes are virgin to calling/hunting, and I don't want to educate them. I have a cheap johnny stewart call(didn't want to spend $$ since I want to learn to mouth call) that I know isn't loud enough, so I purchased the amp for it since it was on cyber monday sale on Midway. I think this was part of the problem so I broke my hunt into 4 stands on this one property, each on is far enough that I don't think they yotes would hear the other stands. But, like I said, I just don't think it was loud enough.

Question 1: How often do you hunt the same spot? I know there are yotes here, and the deer are taking a real hit. It is my father's property and he hunts deer on it, so I would like to thin out some yotes to help.

Question 2: How long, and what do your calling sequences look like?

Question 3: I want to use mouth calls, any recommendations? Also places to learn, DVDs, books, etc?

I am persistent, so tomorrow I am going out again, just a different spot. I am going to hunt thicker woods in hope that the weak caller will be more effective. I want to try to get a good grip on calling sequences to try.

Hey Fierceman,
After several years of coyote calling and killing around 700 in the process, I have no use for e-calls. I can buy many mouth calls and duplicate many sounds. PM me and I will try to explain how I learned to hunt/call coyotes.
Kirk

The Ruffidawg callers are really good and it comes with a dvd on how to use it. You can go to Predator Quest - Les Johnson - Predator Calling Television Show and Calls for Sale to take a look at them. I have called in many yotes and bobcats with it.

I have that ecaller that you have. I don't like it but I have called in yotes with it. Just remember, whatever you think is too quiet may not be too quiet for a coyote. They have super sensitive hearing and can hear a long ways away. I called at a stand the other day and killed one and then set up there again in 2 days and got another one. If other yotes don't bust you then it is ok to sit there again. If you have been killing a few yotes there and you start to see a decline in success there then you can set up elsewhere.

I've chased them for about 10yrs now and love my mouth calls. I've used e-callers and the only one i like is the fox-pro. For me it doesn't seem to matter too much which sound i use, if the yotes are within range they'll come in for me. I've hunted all sorts of terrain here in KY and i feel the biggest issue is how loud my calling is. I always spray down and try to remain as scent free as possible and feel it deff helps, i'm trying a ghille suit out this yr in the past i've just used my deer hunting camo and it seems to be sufficient. I try and stay in the shadows of the trees or the thickest parts of the fence lines I can. Don't get discouraged i hunted for about 2yrs before ever getting to shoot a yote, called in idk how many owls, hawks and crows. If you know they're around just try some diff calls and switch up what time you hunt. I try and hit my places no more than twice a month most of my areas are relatively small, 200 acres is my largest area. As far as learning more i really like Randy Anderson's dvd idk how many he has now but i know it's several the "calling all coyotes" series is my favorite.

Thanks for the responses guys. I will look into a DVD on techniques. I bought a Lohman MVP call, close, medium, and far. Seems to sound more like the guys I watch on youtube. I think my biggest problem will be outmaneuvering them. I will also need to quit trying to hunt them in fields. I will keep you posted on my progress. It is gonna be highs in the 20's this weekend, so I will try to get to some new spots. Thanks again.

I try to give a spot at least a week or more between stands. I also don't hunt a place that has been deer hunted real hard until is has rested for awhile.

I think you will learn more using the mouth call's starting out. I have the FX3 but I catch myself over calling and switching sounds way more than I should. I still use mouth calls probably 50% of the time.

I also try to stay on stand at least 30 mins, but it will come down to what you think at the time. I have been on stands for an hour or so and one finally will show, so it just depends.

You can go to all predators .com to find a call that you want. I have several ones,but the tweety has always worked.

You can go to Predator masters .com and find all the information that you need. You will learn a ton on that site.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.