fires how bad are they

hesse

hi guys I am heading to middle Idaho the last week of October for a hunt and I am wondering how bad the fires are out there . thanks for any help Hesse

The smoke is pretty bad in SW Idaho right now. We keep flirting with red air quality. I'm sure any fires burning now will be out way before October so the only potential impact you'd see would be if there was a fire that burned in your hunt area displacing the game. We have a chance of showers the end of next week and the temps are coming down so hopefully the thunderstorms are done with for the year. The wind is suppose to shift from the northwest to the south in the next few days as well and that should help with the smoke.

Bad now. Shouldn't be an issue then. Right now, you'd have a problem glassing 300 yards. Idaho has some of the most polluted air in the nation. About every third year, fires from here and surrounding states blow smoke in all summer long and it gets bad enough that it'll give you a rough throat is your doing anything to increase your breathing. After the first good rain storm, it's done and clears out. Pretty much every good hunting spot I've ever found has been burnt out. That's how it goes.

Thanks for the heads up I really hope that our area didn't burn this is a retirement gift for my dad. thanks hesse

A lot of the smoke from the Idaho, Eastern Washington, and Eastern Oregon fires all converged on Portland today. Visibility is crazy low.
up-smoke-collage-jeff-smith.jpg

Smoky enough to turn on the street lights for a couple of days.

I hadn't heard John Day had a fire, my daughter is in Asotin, nothing threatening to their place yet, but keeping an eye on this end of the "Grizzly Complex".

I hope the 3 dead in Washington is the last of it.

Thanks for the heads up I really hope that our area didn't burn this is a retirement gift for my dad. thanks hesse

Nice gift. To bad the company didn't think of it.

Chances are that your general area wasn't touched. The biggest problems during fires, outside of the fire itself, is travel restrictions on forest roads. Usually sometime in September there's a rain which may not seem like much in the low country but tends to drop a lot more water in the mountains. Anyway, the fires go out like a light and the roads open instantly and your on your way. By October in some places, you may not be able to get your vehicle out till Spring/Summer due to the snow. I wouldn't think twice about the fires if your hunting in October.

Keep us posted on your Dad's hunt!

thanks for all the info guy is greatly appreciated . we are going to be hunting 50 miles east of McCall that pin points the area better. good luck hope for rain.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.