fine tuning for accuracy for hunting accuracy for a M/L

wildcat westerner

Hello, Thanks to this site I continue to acquire knowledge concerning a M/L rifle to be used for hunting at longer distances than 200 yards, without breaking the bank! New Mexico requires iron sights for hunting and the Williams western would seem to be a very good sight, with a reticle to 200 yards. That is fine, but here in the Rockies I would like to end up owning a factory weapon capable of precision to 300 yards, hopefully without a lot of sight adjustment. Is this a reasonable goal?
I will be using LR primers and ELR 250 grain bullets. Which rifle would you suggest? Would buying a cheaper rifle and having a custom barrel fit be the best combination in terms of accuracy and cost?

Hello, Thanks to this site I continue to acquire knowledge concerning a M/L rifle to be used for hunting at longer distances than 200 yards, without breaking the bank! New Mexico requires iron sights for hunting and the Williams western would seem to be a very good sight, with a reticle to 200 yards. That is fine, but here in the Rockies I would like to end up owning a factory weapon capable of precision to 300 yards, hopefully without a lot of sight adjustment. Is this a reasonable goal?
I will be using LR primers and ELR 250 grain bullets. Which rifle would you suggest? Would buying a cheaper rifle and having a custom barrel fit be the best combination in terms of accuracy and cost?
There are many factors to it, but when you start speaking of long range and accuracy, the barrel is probably the most important part.

Regardless of the rifle, unless shooting SML you're going to have considerable drop at 300yds.
I don't know the restrictions as to rather a 50cal is required or you can use a 45cal.

I'd look over the Knight rifles. The Ultralite and the Mountaineer.