Finally Done! and took her to the range

emn83

well, except the cosmetics.

it all started last January, I got sick of the factory stock on my Savage 11, and ordered a stock from Stockade. Then in April, I got the hankering for a heavier barrel, so I called up Kevin Rayhill, and by June had made up my mind, and put in the order for him to do the barrel on the rifle, and had him throw a heavy recoil lug on it for good measure. Come late July, I sent him the rifle, for inspection, and so he'd have it when the barrel came in. Then, last week, I got the call I had been waiting for, Valkyrie was coming home.

1030121639.jpg

some Specs:

Savage action, timed and trued (I guess she was pretty out of spec, and Kevin trued her), with a Stockade tactical bolt handle.
Stockade Rollover Cheek Thumbhole stock (money saver option, I still need to do the finishing touches)
Benchmark barrel: 26" 1:11 twist, recessed crown
Stockade heavy recoil lug
EGW 20 MOA 1 piece base
Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14X40 scope (I had it beofre, it goes away after Deer season)
Burris Signature ZEE rings

I have rounds loaded to establish my max load, had a box of 155 Bergers, so I'll be trying them out, this is mainly a 600 yard gun, for competition, and, as of now, a 200-300 yard gun for deer.

it's been getting colder out, so looks like on Thursday when I go, temps will be in the low to mid 30s, but gotta get her ready for deer season. (I have a box of accubonds for that)

Re: Finally Done!

Took her to the range yesterday, was shooting to get her sited in for hunting. found out that she tolerates but doesn't really like the Nosler Accubond 165gr factory Ammo i have on hand. because I don't enjoy sitting in below freezing temps, I will probably put off doing load development till the spring. used 17 rounds to get her fairly well broken in, wasn't shooting groups, just getting her sat. the last 3 rounds, I shot for group. Shooting 100 yards, with me cold as heck, she shot .8 MOA at 100 yards. If that is any indication of things, she'll be a shooter when I get a chance to make some custom loads for her.

group.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.