Finally, 800 yards 1.8 inch group

"that red splatter scope sets it off"

It does compliemnt the ole girl. I can also tell it is an older M700 action because of the two screws at the back of the receiver, just above the stock. I think Remington used to put those in for adding receiver/peep sights, but eventually phased that out of the M700. JohnnyK.

The stock was the one that came the first time I had the wildcat built by an old gunsmith in VA about 30 years ago. He hand made the stock. The gun was a 300wby necked down to 7MM but the gun never shot worth a darn.
I finally decided to rebuild it, kept the original stock and the Rem 700 LA.
The action is on it's 3rd caliber 270 7mm/300wby and now 6.5x47 Lapua.

I just couldn't give up the old stock and that red splatter scope sets it off.
:)

For a 30 year old stock it looks brand new. Funny how sometimes the older something gets the more I'm reluctant to part with it. I have a 30-06 my first highpower rifle I purchased 40 years ago for about $170 bucks. 2 years ago I saw one listed on the web for $1500-not sure if it sold for that but that's what it was listed at. Irregardless and even though I haven't shot it in years...I'm not ready to part with it. And of coarse my son thinks he'll inherit all my guns someday(probably the case with the 30-06) but not so with some of the others which I'll be selling to help pay for a new custom build. Again great rig and great shooting. Charlie

Re: Finally, 800 yards 1.8 inch group UPDATE

Well I've been unable to reproduce the 1.8 inch group. :-( I'm not really disappointed. I've been able to reproduce sub .5 MOA groups anywhere from 400 to 800 yards in calm wind conditions. Probably not as good as I hoped, but not bad either. Most of my groups at 800 (where I shoot this gun the most) are between 3 and 4 inches. I will play with the load and seating depth a little each time I go to shoot, but my major load development stage is over. I'm really just enjoying shooting the rifle now. It's fun, light recoil and shoots pretty darn well. I got a new crono and it says I'm shooting 2995, not 2840. I'm going to shoot a 10 foot piece of tin this weekend with my 200 yard reticule from 800 yards and find out what the ACTUAL drop is. Then I should be able to figure the actual muzzle velocity and see which of these cronos is closer to the truth.

Sub .5 MOA groups @ 800 yds is real good in my book. I would be real happy with that... at least for a while :) Seems like I always gotta try to get a little more.

Anyway, good shooting rifle... any critters within a 1000 yards of you should be worried.

Robbin, That's some great shootin! What power leupold scope do you use I currently use a 6.5X20X50 I 'm leaning toward a higher power so I can see the target better just wandering what power you like? Thanks

Bigbuck

I shoot the same scope you do, I love the varmint hunter reticule, with an accurate MV you can get 13 dead on distances with just the turn of the power adjustment. I've got 5. That said, I'm saving up for a 40x Nightforce for my wildcat. It's hard to shoot tight groups if you can't see small targets beyond 800. I think 800 is the limit with 20 power depending on what you are shooting at. However, my wildcat is a target gun, I'll keep my 20X Leupold VXLs on my hunting rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.