FFP vs SFP for ranging

mjkten

I have been studying the use of the FFP reticle for ranging. I'd like to become proficient at it. I wonder whether those who have a SFP mil dot (or other demarcated type) reticle with a modest top end for magnification are at any disadvantage?
Lets say you have a 10x top end. If you need to range your target, wouldn't you most often be at the top magnification anyway, just to be sure of your target?
Thanks,
Mike.

Either type of scope can be used for ranging as long as the operator is up to speed. The FFP simply allows you to use it on any magnification setting without having to do compensating math. You are probably right about having the scope dialed up for the exercise, and if the SFP unit is calibrated at max mag you're good to go. Some higher mag scopes in SFP have the calibrated setting at something lower than the max, and if you are shopping look for a model that provides a detent at the calibrated setting for consistent adjustment. Whichever type you choose, keep in mind that ranging with a reticle is somewhat challenging to do with great accuracy, as the ability to see the target clearly, variations in target size (both real and/or apparent) can all generate errors in range estimation sufficient to impair effectiveness in hitting said target. I consider reticle ranging to be a good skill for a rifleman to possess, but I fully acknowledge that at the distances where I need to be the most precise, my ability to use the skill is least likely to deliver the needed precision. My laser is my primary ranging tool for long distance, my topo map second, reticle ranging third.

I imagine that using the laser rangefinder is an invaluable tool for precise shooting, but useful for training yourself as well, checking the accuracy of your ranging exercise. My father in law used to travel in a small boat from Miami to Bimini, using a radio direction finder. Todays GPS makes that seem pretty crude. In the same way I'd like to develop that as a fundamental skill of the rifleman.
Thanks for your reply,
Mike.

I enjoy technology as much as anyone else, but I also believe in preserving and protecting basic (old school to some) skills. These traditional skills also provide an excellent backup or safety for when tech fails. I have GPS, but also carry topo maps and a "ranger" style compass, the latter also acting as backup for the angle calculation function in my G7BR2. Drop charts for multiple altitude/temp conditions are tucked in pockets of my pack. Sometimes batteries die, sometimes stuff just plain breaks. I like to have a plan for as much as possible...

Absolutely! Might as well know as much as you can about your system. Seen some pretty amazing things accomplished with math afield. Often enough it works quite well. Was shooting prairie dogs with a MOA Vortex spotting scope spotting for a buddy awhile back. Using IPHY instead of MOA (subtracting the .047 IPHY for approximate reticle thickness) netted some close ranges often even as far out at 600 yds.

Here's a couple videos I did on the concepts--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNvJKBOpj08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozEhoNaRi2s

Either type of scope can be used for ranging as long as the operator is up to speed. The FFP simply allows you to use it on any magnification setting without having to do compensating math. You are probably right about having the scope dialed up for the exercise, and if the SFP unit is calibrated at max mag you're good to go. Some higher mag scopes in SFP have the calibrated setting at something lower than the max, and if you are shopping look for a model that provides a detent at the calibrated setting for consistent adjustment. Whichever type you choose, keep in mind that ranging with a reticle is somewhat challenging to do with great accuracy, as the ability to see the target clearly, variations in target size (both real and/or apparent) can all generate errors in range estimation sufficient to impair effectiveness in hitting said target. I consider reticle ranging to be a good skill for a rifleman to possess, but I fully acknowledge that at the distances where I need to be the most precise, my ability to use the skill is least likely to deliver the needed precision. My laser is my primary ranging tool for long distance, my topo map second, reticle ranging third.

Boom.

Also, it's called a lensatic compass.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.