Feeling bullet press into powder ?

Maina

Loading for a 300 weather by mag
85 gr H1000
200 gr accubond
And max powder is 86 but I'm doing 85
Oal 3.550
Should I feel the powder pressing on the lead because I can ?
I don't think I could get more powder in case . But I don't want a signed shot rifle . So I'm going for mag length

Have you verified that this load is safe? (Have you shot this load yet and observed any pressure signs)??

Some of my loads have been compressed with H1000.
HOWEVER, you do not want to deform the bullet with the seating stem bell. That is bad business for accuracy.
If you have an obvious deep ring around the bullet (deformation) you need to find a different powder or bullet or seating depth.

I've used a tall drop tube, pour the powder very slowly, and/or gently tap the case sides with a small screwdriver to settle the powder for more case space.

+1 on the drop tube.....went to one with N570 in my Terminator load....made a significant difference compacting the powder in the case....

Marcus

My Nosler 8 says 87grains of H1000 in a Nosler case with the 200 NAB compressed 104% at 3.550. What type of brass are you using. Different brass manufacturers have different internal dimensions and can result in more compression.

You can also settle your powder a little before you seat a bullet by tapping the case prior to seating operation. If you weigh your brass it can give you an idea of internal capacity or better yet fill a case with water and weigh that.

85 sounds okay Some of my 300 win loads with H1000 have some serious crunching when seating bullets. As long as your not deforming anything I would say shoot em

When in doubt back off a grain or 2 and work up.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Last edited:
Loading for a 300 weather by mag
85 gr H1000
200 gr accubond
And max powder is 86 but I'm doing 85
Oal 3.550
Should I feel the powder pressing on the lead because I can ?
I don't think I could get more powder in case . But I don't want a single shot rifle . So I'm going for mag length

where are you getting data that goes to 85 ??? does it say its for nos ab

hodgdon is saying 200 nos ab compressed at 83... so youre probably crunchin pretty good -- if you pick the 200sft which i am assuming is the swift a-frame , that one goes to 85 but not really a boat tail

dump slower, vibrating toothbrush while seating ,

one thing i have noticed when using caliber common powder, is that my most accurate groups happen very close or near that start of that crunch point you are talking about, when using data that has 100% + case capacity ( also usually very close to start of pressure signs )

this may or may not apply to the workup you are working on now , but its happened more times than i think could be a coincidence in the few cartridges that i load for

Good tips for the OP. Don't forget- compressed loads change the overall length of the seated round because they actually push the bullet back up after it is in place.

If, after using a drop tube or vibrating the case, you are still crunching powder, be sure to check the bullet run-out of the loaded cartridge. At long range a few extra thousandths will make a difference.
John

Assuming the OP has worked up his load.....

I don't mind a little bit of compression in a load. Although my experience has been that the loads with just under compressed have been the best. Often the loads that give slight compression are very good. Too much compression and the bullet will push back out, as was mentioned earlier. If I hit compression before I hit target vel I will try another powder to see if I can get the desired results.

Steve

A trick I learned a long time ago from a member on here was to partially seat your bullets and hold them on top of your vibratory tumbler (if you have one). I usually do it for 7-10 seconds and then finish seating. You'd be amazed at how much more room that gives you when you're running close to or at compression.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.