Feeding issues with PTG detachable magazine

70oldsracer

I just had a 6.5 Creedmoor built for me by a gunsmith. I'm using a PTG detachable magazine.
.Remington 700 (SA) Drop In Detachable Magazine Kit (BDL / DBM) - Pacific Tool and Gauge

Its a Remington 700 short action with a HS Precision stock. The rifle feeds fine if the magazine has the full 5 rounds in it. Once it gets down to 3 rounds, the bolt starts pushing the cartridge and then a soon as the tip reaches the feed ramp, the bolt just rides over the round. PTG told me that the magazine I had was for a 308 and that the company that makes the magazines for them (Legacy Sports) has a specific 6.5 Creedmoor magazine. Well, I bought that magazine and it does the same thing. I tried putting a 308 snap cap into the 308 magazine, just to see if it would feed and for some reason, it will feed fine with only one round in the magazine, while the 6.5 won't. I can post pics and try to post videos if necessary. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

That looks like a neat setup.

It sounds to me like the top cartridge in the magazine isn't being presented high enough. If you could spread the feed lips that could be a solution but it looks like the magazine is of polymer construction. You might be able to file the lips of the magazine a little so that the lips are wider. Maybe even file the thickness of the feed lips a little? Basically, try to get the round to sit higher in the magazine.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I was able to fix the feeding issue. I'll post again with pics to explain what was wrong and how I fixed it. Thanks

After looking at my situation more closely and comparing it to my 308, I noticed that the magazine was not sitting high enough into the action. The round was hitting the feed ramp very low, causing it to travel towards the chamber on too sever an angle. That is what was causing the bolt to ride over the round. It wouldn't do it with a full magazine, because the round couldn't pivot down in the back, so it would feed correctly. The rear of the magazine was in the correct location, but the front of the magazine was the part that was sitting too low. The bottom metal was about .125" lower than the feed ramp, so I inlet the stock approximately .100" deeper, just where the front of the bottom metal sat. This in turn raised up the bottom metal and the magazine, giving the round a straighter run to the chamber. The rifle feeds perfectly now. I've attached a before and after pic so you can see the difference. The pic looks upside down until you click on it to view it larger. Thanks again for the replies.

Attachments

• 6.5 creedmoor.JPG
    6.5 creedmoor.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 243
  • 6.5 creedmoor 2.JPG
    6.5 creedmoor 2.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 223
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.