Feed lip adjustment

frostop

Last year I had my Ruger M77 MkII rebarreled from 338 Jamison to 270 wsm, these two cartridges are both based on .404 Jeffery.

Anyway it seems that the Jamison is slightly smaller in case diameter than the 270, now the 270 will not fit down into the mag well. Question is, what is the procedure for removing material from the feed rails of the action?? I don't have the rifle with me, but I am thinking that it is only a couple thou that needs to be removed?

Gary

Last edited:
yeah, it probably wouldn't take much. Just study the situation carefully and try small adjustments at a time. A little goes a long way. Good luck.

I know that this is probably typically done on a mill, I may just go after it with a file or a stone and just take a little at a time!

After I wrote the original post I went home and tried different ways of getting a round in the mag, it seems that it is just the base of the cartridge that is just a bit larger than the rest.
That and the ramps seem to be tapered just slightly as they go forward, narrower in the rear and slightly larger in the front. The cartridge will fit down through if I move it forward just a bit and push it to the rear. So with that in mind I think that I need to take very little off!

I had the exact same problem on a Defiance made action once. I started with a file taking a little off the feed rail where it was thicker. I ended up having to remove from all the rail unless I wanted to feed that cartridge in a specific spot each time. I was running a 6.5-270 WSM on a long action so you may not have that problem since you got less room where the case can feed in the mag well. The file took too long so I used a dremel with a sanding wheel and it's all good. A mill will make a straighter cut than you cut do with either a file or a dremel, though.

I know that this is probably typically done on a mill, I may just go after it with a file or a stone and just take a little at a time!

After I wrote the original post I went home and tried different ways of getting a round in the mag, it seems that it is just the base of the cartridge that is just a bit larger than the rest.
That and the ramps seem to be tapered just slightly as they go forward, narrower in the rear and slightly larger in the front. The cartridge will fit down through if I move it forward just a bit and push it to the rear. So with that in mind I think that I need to take very little off!

For an 'old school' gunsmith, the file and stone method is how it's done. I've converted many, many Mauser '98 actions to feed magnum cartridges. A mill is over kill and a Dremel tool can just be a 'trouble maker'. With either you can remove a lot of steel you didn't want to if you're not super careful. Handwork,,,,,, it ain't all machine work...... Some times, one more stroke of a file is all it takes.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts