Federal Primers Pierce. Heads up

Louis,
Sorry, but just to thrash my dead horse completely to death, do of any other unfailed primers show anything at all in that same shoulder area? A nick or other?

Louis,
Sorry, but just to thrash my dead horse completely to death, do of any other unfailed primers show anything at all in that same shoulder area? A nick or other?
No nothing, I have looked at the bolt face under a magnify light and did not see anything or feel anything. Just looked again, the only marks on the bolt face are the three etchings from the failed primers. All three are cuts nothing sticking up or a burr.

Last edited:
Your bolt face is fixable but as long as you are not having any problems with extracting I would keep shooting it until you need to put a new barrel on and fix it then I see this all the time as a gunsmith with 20 years experience but if it starts getting ruff to open the bolt then you need get it fixed
Any frequency with Fed GM205m's failure, lets say in the last 7 or 8 years?

Guess l'll put my 2 cents or $400 in here. l am a silhouette shooter and have since the beginning of IHMSA silhouettes in the late 70s. I usually shoot 3 matches a month and practice twice a week. l throw a good bit of lead down range on a yearly basis... IHMSA is a handgun sport... By choice l have always used Federal primers. During the GREAT PRIMER FAMINE of 2008-2016 l shot anything l could get my hand on. At the beginning of 2008 the primer well suddenly dried up overnight... lf yall shot any volume during those years you know what l mean... Anyway, a few yrs ago l fell upon a treasure of 10,000 or two sleeves of Federal Match Large Pistol Primers. Got them from a trusted friend thru a trade.. They sit a couple yrs and one day l open the sleeve marked LPP, but they are NOT. lnside is 5000 Large RIFLE Primers!! Same goes with the other sleeve... These were factory sealed sleeves... So l call FEDERAL... ''Take a number. Ballistic people are busy. They'll call you back''. Well that dog and pony show lasted for 3 solid months. l usually called twice a week.. Always varying time of day... lts been a year or so now... l passed those on to another... Never, Ever will l buy a Federal product... lt wasn't always this way... But that's the way its been since they were bought out by VISTA OUTDOORS... Vista also owns SPEER/RCBS, ALLIENT POWDER, BUSHNELL, BURRIS, WEAVER, and a bunch of other old time good name companies... They did own SAVAGE til recently, but sold them.. l wish SAVAGE well.. The Handle recently broke on my RCBS SUMMIT PRESS.. l called RCBS customer service... Got the SAME switchboard as l got when calling Federal.. Same dog and pony show answer, ''WE'LL CALL YOU BACK''.. Lotsa luck. l'm still waiting on that call too. Found a replacement on GunBroken.. No more Vista Products. EVER. lf its buy vista or do without, l will do without..
BTW... As far as l know, there's no expiration date on primers, powder... As long as they are kept cool and dry they should last indefinitely... l read awhile back the US NAVY still has Naval Gun Powder from World War One. lt's still good. l have some 40 yo SUPER VEL primers. They still go P O P!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.