Favorite Varmint Cartridge

My choice would be my old Savage 112 from the late 70's, caliber is 220 Swift.
A Burris Sig. series 6x24 target scope w/1/8" clicks, harris S bipod.
Several years ago factory barrel was replaced with a Douglas 26".
The factory trigger wore out and was replaced with a rifle basic.

Handloads I use IMR 4064, CCI primers, Winchester brass, nosler 50 gr. bt.
Brass is neck turned, neck sized, powder charged weighted, bulled seated.

The farthest Groundhog so far is 715 yds., checked with a Leica 1200 rangefinder.

Hogginking

"Groundhogs"," the other white meat"

I'm not a Swift fan but that's a long shot on a hog with a .22cal rifle!

Hard to beat a .223 for short ranges! I'm considering building a short range varminter and if I don't go with a little 6mm it's going to be a .224 cal rifle and thinking of a .223 Ackley, a standard .22-.250, or .22-.250 Ackley.

If you've already got a 243 and access to a 222, it's kind of a tough call.

You could go 22-250, and my biased opinion is this: you don't get a lot of utility going AI. My max charge testing with Varget and 50gr blitzkings took me right up to 4000fps at max book loads, with no pressure signs on the brass. I run them quite a bit lower, because I just don't see much utility in the extra velocity (the bullets are inefficient enough that it doesn't do all that much for you). You may get some benefit out of going AI if you go with a fast twist barrel to shoot the heavier, better BC bullets -but at that point you might as well step up to a 6mm.

Because you already have a 243, maybe you step up to a 260? Depending on how you load for it, you can vaporize little varmints from short to long range, use it for medium range deer or speedgoats, or shoot steel to 1K. Pretty versatile cartridge.

If you've already got a 243 and access to a 222, it's kind of a tough call.

You could go 22-250, and my biased opinion is this: you don't get a lot of utility going AI. My max charge testing with Varget and 50gr blitzkings took me right up to 4000fps at max book loads, with no pressure signs on the brass. I run them quite a bit lower, because I just don't see much utility in the extra velocity (the bullets are inefficient enough that it doesn't do all that much for you). You may get some benefit out of going AI if you go with a fast twist barrel to shoot the heavier, better BC bullets -but at that point you might as well step up to a 6mm.

Because you already have a 243, maybe you step up to a 260? Depending on how you load for it, you can vaporize little varmints from short to long range, use it for medium range deer or speedgoats, or shoot steel to 1K. Pretty versatile cartridge.
Well the .222 is my Dads and I'd like to have my own close range varmint rig. I most likely will go with a standard cartridge and not an Ackley. I'm really fond of 6mm's so may go with something little in that caliber and shoot 75gr V-MAXs or 65s. I have also been thinking of a longer range varminter and may do a duel purpose rifle like you mentioned. I really like the .260 Remington but not sure if I want a 6.5 or 7mm rifle, as of right now, I load for three calibers .24, .27, and .30cal. I would like to keep it simple and only have a few calibers but that's tough to do with what I have. If I had the choice I think I'd go with 7mm over .270 but my Dad got me the .270 when I was little and its been great so can't complain. If only the .277 diameter had more of a slug selection.

This is why I like my 6-284, 300 yard group.

Attachments

• IMG_20140126_212810_198.jpg
    IMG_20140126_212810_198.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 106
Crow my cousin shot on his farm with my .243 varminter. Hit him in the neck and exited somewhere in this mess, 87gr V-MAX did this to him at 200yds.

Attachments

• IMG_1552.jpg
    IMG_1552.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 103
Id have thought the bird would be in at least 2 pcs..

I think if he hit it through the wings it would have done more, but he skimmed its neck and the bullet blew up in its guts. The crow's lungs were tore up too, but its lower half got the worst of it.

I think if he hit it through the wings it would have done more, but he skimmed its neck and the bullet blew up in its guts. The crow's lungs were tore up too, but its lower half got the worst of it.

Ah, that makes more sense...Looked like the bird got shot throught the back and it exited out the chest, thats why I was surprised it wasnt in 2 pieces.

Ah, that makes more sense...Looked like the bird got shot throught the back and it exited out the chest, thats why I was surprised it wasnt in 2 pieces.

Now if that happened he would definitely be in pieces haha, or split down the middle and gutted!

I m some what limited to prairie dog shooting but over the years have shot a few varmints common out in the western plains area. Some what the power of the scopes used matches the range , bullet path of the cartridge being used. Leupold 6.5-20 AO scopes are mounted on the 243 and 220 Swift rifles. Leupold 6-18 AO scopes are on 223 ,204 Ruger, and 17 Fireball rifles. Burris 4.5-14 AO scopes are mounted on 17 Rem, and 17 HMR rifles. A Burris 4-16 AO scope is on a 221 Fireball rifle. Leupold 4-12 AO scopes are on 17 HM2 and 17 Hornet rifles. I have a few other brand lower cost scopes Weaver, Browning, and Simmons. I got a new Nikon Monarch 4-16 AO scope to try out . Years ago I put Leupold scopes on my big game rifles , never had a problem with them so I end up using them on most of my varmint rifles. But I have not had a problem the other brands that I have. Most of the time there seams to be some wind where I shoot , I don't like missing so I don't do much shooting at prairie dogs over 400 yards even with the 220 Swift and 243 Win rifles. My favorite scope is the Leupold VX-II 6-18 X40 MM AO scope for prairie dog shooting...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.