Favorite Dangerous Game Round

Not to nitpick, but why would you go with the 375 Wby over the 378 Wby? The 375 Wby was a failure in all proportions compared to the HH and 9.3 in about every comparison I have seen. That was the main reason the 378 was made.

Definitely could be wrong there. I have never shot the 375 Wby, only the 378.

"The 375 Wby was a failure in all proportions compared to the HH and 9.3 in about every comparison I have seen. That was the main reason the 378 was made."

Sorry to revive an old thread...but this ONE statement above, alone, has me intrigued as to just what & where was his "every comparison I have seen" is found???

I have been searching for either a new Weatherby chambered in .375 WBY 'cause of the fact that you can still shoot the less costly H&H (fire-form the cases too, for reloads)and step up to the .375 Wby. round for a flatter shooting / harder hitting load when needed.
According to Weatherby's own site info, under menu / products / ballistics...the comparison between the .375 Wby vs. the .378 Wby...the .375 is far superior in every category over the .378 !
Ballistics | Weatherby.com

Hmmm?
So, Lapua guy, show me this "data" ?

Just build them heavy and use a good muzzle brake. I also use a towel between me and the rifle if it is real bad. The A-Square is a thumper but it can be shot accurately with a 1.5 oz jewell trigger. I shoot these rifles because I can build them cheap sometimes under 300 bucks. I have several reamers and it only takes a few hours to chamber one. Next spring season I am going to build a 585 Nyati and shoot 300 grain bullets 3300+ That should take it as far as I want to go. I will post a video of the bears being shot with the A-Square this fall. Ross

Just build them heavy and use a good muzzle brake. I also use a towel between me and the rifle if it is real bad. The A-Square is a thumper but it can be shot accurately with a 1.5 oz jewell trigger. I shoot these rifles because I can build them cheap sometimes under 300 bucks. I have several reamers and it only takes a few hours to chamber one. Next spring season I am going to build a 585 Nyati and shoot 300 grain bullets 3300+ That should take it as far as I want to go. I will post a video of the bears being shot with the A-Square this fall. Ross

WoW...what is the "range" of bullets (weights) that can be shot in a 585 Nyati caliber?

I have owned 2 375 ultras, the first was poorly put together in my inexperience and was nothing but a headache. I now have another and love it. I feel pretty safe behind it.

I just finished my 500 A Square and it is shooting 300 grain barnes original with 120.0 grains of h4198 over 3450 fps. I have some 350 grain CEB Non Con bullets on the way. We just put our bait out 3 days ago. I am going to check it tomorrow and maybe hunt over it if it has been hit. Ross

Is there anywhere where its legal to use a BMG?You could throw 750s at 3000+ fps with an improved BMG. Obviously its not needed to get the job done but, theres really no such thing as overkill when facing down a beast that could just as easily kill you. Anyone ever take any BIG game with a .50BMG and 750 AMAXs?

Not to nitpick, but why would you go with the 375 Wby over the 378 Wby? The 375 Wby was a failure in all proportions compared to the HH and 9.3 in about every comparison I have seen. That was the main reason the 378 was made.

Definitely could be wrong there. I have never shot the 375 Wby, only the 378.

The 375 Whby. Is one of the greatest rounds ever invented, no slammed againts those of you who shoot the 375 Ackley,Mashburn,OKH. The only reason R.W.came out with the 378 was few people bought his ammo. They fireformed H+H ammo in the Whby chamber and reloaded.

I just finished a 500 Weatherby. The case is a 460 Weatherby necked up to take the 500 smith and wesson bullets. I loaded 125 grains of R19 and a 300 grain flex tip Hornady and it shot 3 shots at 100 yards under 3/8" I can't wait to use it and the A Square on a spring bear.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.