Fallow Deer?

KyCarl

I have always wanted one of those palmated racks? I've looked and Texas seems to offer some choices. The only rub is non-hunter wife is coming. It has to be better than Bunkhouse?
Happy Wife..Happy Life! I'm old enough to know this!
And will my 6.5 X 284 be a sound choice? So anything you can share about Places and Rifle choices will be appreciated!

Well both are easy. Two places I know would be great would be the Y.O. ranch and star s ranch in Texas. Both are well above the bunk house very high end. The Y.O. would have more for her to enjoy. I can say the guy that runs the Y.O. is one of the best I've ever dealt with no BS with that guy at all even if it's not what you want to here.
I'm heading down in Jan for a few things. As a side bonus for us guys they have a 1200 yard range at the Y.O.
and yes your rifle will work. Fallow are very easy to put down. Almost any rifle will work for those. You just have to decide wheather you want a chocolate or white fallow or both.

Check out Wilderness Hunting Lodge in Monterey, TN. Alan has a huge selection of Fallow deer along with several other species. I have been hunting there since 2007 and have taken eight really nice trophies.

29Frxu5l.jpg

Thanks guys! She want's to make a little vacation out of it. Take our time getting there ..Hunt 3 or 4 days Then loop North for the return trip? I go along so I don't have to wear my headphones the whole trip! My Dad would pull over and make Mom ride in the backseat if she was too loud! Linda doesn't go for that at all!

We shoot a lot of fallow here in Australia, any cartridge from 6mm up will work very well.
Personally, I use a 25-06 most of the time, but have/do use a 6.5x47 & 6.5x55. Either with a 100-120gr bullet is perfect.
Used my 264WM on occasion, was hunting larger deer at the time, made a mess with 125gr Partitions, so try not to shoot them with that one.

Cheers.

We shoot a lot of fallow here in Australia, any cartridge from 6mm up will work very well.
Personally, I use a 25-06 most of the time, but have/do use a 6.5x47 & 6.5x55. Either with a 100-120gr bullet is perfect.
Used my 264WM on occasion, was hunting larger deer at the time, made a mess with 125gr Partitions, so try not to shoot them with that one.

Cheers.
Hi MM, nice to see another aussie here ;)

I have hunted Goodman ranch in Henderson,Tn. Several times. hunting fallow,axis as well as sitka with my better half right beside me. Great place to relax by the fire pit at night as well as upper end trophy class animals

The 6.5 -284 will be perfect. I have shot them with a bow, 7mm stw, 6.5 wby. The Berger bullet is my choice in all my centerfire rifles

I've hunted with an Outfitter that arranged the hunts in Texas. He guided and some of the ranches were really nice. However, you are for sure going to find what you want at one of the major exotic ranches as mentioned above. I used the 6.5/284 with the Nosler 120 BT and it was perfect! I shot one fallow at 110yds right besides the eye( he was "peeking" at me behind some cedar after following him awhile.) I "almost missed" as I was shoting "at the eye". :) Have a ball man, and take some money, shoot a Blackbuck and some does of each for meat!

The 6.5-284 should be perfect, 140gr bullets would not be needed for fallow, very easy to put down. I've always used 100-120gr in 6.5 and 100-115gr in 25 cal. The 140's may be a little tough for small fallow deer.
When culling them here I use a 22-250AI with 50-55gr pills for headshots, which is mandatory.

Cheers.

P. S. Enjoy your hunt, not only are fallow a pretty deer...they taste real good too.

when my daughter began hunting, I took her to a fallow deer ranch. Her 7-08 killed them as easily as it kills any other deer.

Another Aussie Fallow hunter here... as mentioned above, they are a pretty soft deer. anything .243 above will get the job done. Like always, shot placement at capable distance is everything. I have hunted them with a variety of cartridges and projectile weights. the 6.5-284 will eat em up.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts