Factory Ammo Testing In New Rifle Question?

KillerBee

Hi All,

I purchased a new rifle for a Christmas present to my self yesterday since I have been naughty this year and am not relying on Santa to show up haha. I have a question about Factory Ammo Testing in a new rifle.

My goal is to shoot 1 MOA out of it since I bought it as my long range go to hunting rifle. It is a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in 300 Win Mag, with a Huskemaw 5-20x50 Blue Diamond Series scope.

My questions is this for you guys in the know:

When testing several varieties of factory ammo to discover the ammo that the barrel will love the most and since this is a new rifle how often should I clean it to get the proper reading out of the various ammo?

Should I clean the barrel each time I shoot a different brand, to keep the barrel consistency exact?

Thanks!

Hi All,

I purchased a new rifle for a Christmas present to my self yesterday since I have been naughty this year and am not relying on Santa to show up haha. I have a question about Factory Ammo Testing in a new rifle.

My goal is to shoot 1 MOA out of it since I bought it as my long range go to hunting rifle. It is a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in 300 Win Mag, with a Huskemaw 5-20x50 Blue Diamond Series scope.

My questions is this for you guys in the know:

When testing several varieties of factory ammo to discover the ammo that the barrel will love the most and since this is a new rifle how often should I clean it to get the proper reading out of the various ammo?

Should I clean the barrel each time I shoot a different brand, to keep the barrel consistency exact?

Thanks!

I'd only shoot factory ammo in her to get the rifle on paper, and possibly to get a box or two of brass if you don't have any. A bit of trigger time will help when you develop loads too.
As to cleaning between boxes, absolutely... The two different loadings may not both use the same powder, and the differing fouling can affect accuracy.

As to final loads, I'd go either to Broz's load of a 215 berger and h1000 or something in the 165-220 grain range from hornady with a good dose of rl22, rl26, or rl25 under it... I've dropped many deer with the 165 hdy and rl22, but h1000 sings a pretty song with a heavier pill in the 300win too...

I would definitely clean between shooting between brands. You need to eliminate as many variables as possible when seeking the most accurate round. A clean barrel will certainly help.

I would do that 3 or 4 times then shoot it (assuming you stick with the same ammo) until accuracy degrades.

If is for a 100 yard deer gun, I wouldn't worry about cleaning between swapping between brands of ammo.

My plan was to shoot Nosler Trophy Grade ABLR's 190 gr., if the rifle likes them. This rifle will be used for moose, elk and deer and whenever I see a wolf, it's going down! gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.