Extending Magazine Box and Setting the Throat

statjunk

I don't know if others have read my other post but here it is below.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/proper-twist-300-wm-55240/

Ridge Runner, indicated that maybe what I need is a Wyatt magazine extender. I've looked into them and it appears that it's exactly what I need.

The magazine extender will allow me to load to an OAL of 3.85" Which is huge. Going this route would essentially allow me to set the throat any where I want with the bullets I've chosen, 165gr & 180gr Accubonds and the 208gr A-Max.

I hear that the rule is you should sink the caliber, in my case .308" into the case. The neck on a 300 WM should be about .2638" so the base of the bullet at .308" in will already be inside the shoulder area about .044".

So when I make these dummy rounds how far should I stick the bullet into the case?

I know I will have to choose one bullet to throat to but for now I just want to know from an accuracy/safety perspective how I should be setting the bullet sink depth in order to get heading in the right direction.

Thanks

Tom

Tom the longer you throat your rifle, the less you can chase the lands as the throat erodes. so I wouldn't go too long. however the longer you throat it the more case capacity you have, kind of a catch 22 situation. I'd allow some room in the magbox for lands chasing if it were me. wish I could give ya some numbers but I'm not than familuar with the 300 winny.
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.