Export requirements for a gun stock

Machann

The long and the short of the question: What do I require to export one single McMillan A5 Stock out from the USA for my own use?
I'm building my long range rig her in South Africa. My ideal will be to fit a McMillan A5 stock to it. I emailed McMillan, how is of the opinion that no permits is required because it is a non-metal gun part. A friend of mine brought his in through a dealer and warned me that two other guys tried to bring in their own stocks which were confiscated by US customs. Any help or references would be appreciated.

The long and short answer.... You need to go through a licensed exporter/importer to take delivery of that stock from any US manufacturer!

A few years ago, I sent a stock abroad, thinking that it was only a piece of wood, and not a controlled item. I got this lovely letter informing me that I was obviously in violation.

If you read this letter, you will become knowledgeable of what that violation would be.

Attachments

• stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 179
Joel, many thanks for your reply and info! Will work through it and try to obtain the required documentation. Thanks again for your trouble!

Regards

Find a licensed exporter in the US, and a licensed importer in NZ, and you're good to go.
I learned my lesson the hard way by losing a $1,500 piece of wood...but hey, I have a nice letter to show for it...

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.