Explanation anyone?

So, I have a question about the magnetospeed. Since its attached to the barrel, does it effect POI?
Well don't go deer hunting with a magnetospeed. Point of impact is of little use getting your correct velocity. So remove it before sighting in

Yeah, probably a good idea to remove it before hunting. lol
Funny story; I had said this many times while doing velocity checks of a load with the magneto speed attached. Not only does it change POI, but with some, if not all, my lighter barrels it tightens up the groups! Acts like a barrel tuner. Some of the groups are tight enough that I "swear" I should hunt with it attached....lol....maybe just a tad awkward carrying it through alder swamps!

I understand what you're saying, but I also have 2 25-06's, and I'm afraid that I'd manage to get them mixed up somewhere along the line, and I don't think that would end very well.
When I make 6.5-06 out of 25-06, I use my Dremel tool to grind away the 25 portion of the head stamp so I can keep them straight.

Supreme 780
Ball powders need a magnum primer. Even more so with starting loads.

The primer photo shows flattened ones. Not a true pressure sign.

Hard bolt lift/extraction is.

Pressure Signs-

Attachments

• PressureSigns.jpg
    PressureSigns.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 76
Well, that about says it. Guess I'll be buying me a magnetospeed at the end of the month. Now that I have this high-powered 6.5-06 (well, not that high powered), I guess I just as well upgrade my chronograph too. Thanks for all the advice. I'm definitely in the learning mode with this rifle. It's a whole different animal than my dozen or more other rifles.
Here's a user tip for the magnetospeed. Make sure the bayonet is tight every few shots. On my Proof Carbon barrel its so slick I have to check it on each shot. On my steel barrels it stays tight better. As with any chrony have a few test rounds to verify you have the device setup properly.

Here's a user tip for the magnetospeed. Make sure the bayonet is tight every few shots. On my Proof Carbon barrel its so slick I have to check it on each shot. On my steel barrels it stays tight better. As with any chrony have a few test rounds to verify you have the device setup properly.
No experience with carbon barrel but another tip is to place the unused rubber spacer on the top of the barrel and wrap the strap around it also. With cartridges like my 6.5-06 it stays put and does not slip and no need to retighten. I do this with sporter and varmint weight. It works on blued, polished stainless & matte finished barrels.
I don't have any "magnums" so cannot say what they might do, but I do know it works 1000% better than the strap alone with smaller stuff.

Mysteries And Misconceptions Of The All-Important Primer

Magnum Primers: Use As Directed
Most primer makers offer a standard and a Magnum primer in each size and application. The Magnum primer offers more power for challenging ignition scenarios. A large-capacity case, a heavily deterred propellant, or extremely cold weather (less than 20 degrees Fahrenheit) typically makes the Magnum primer desirable.
We tested loads at both maximum normal pressures and at the starting loads (some labs calculate start loads — we shot them). Standard primers caused no ignition issues at the max load but posted higher extreme variations in pressure and velocity in the lower pressure regimes of the start loads. In extreme cases, the start loads produced short delayed firings — probably in the range of 20 to 40 milliseconds but detectible to an experienced ballistician. Switching that propellant to a Magnum primer smoothed out the performance across the useful range of charge weights and completely eliminated the delays.

I understand what you're saying, but I also have 2 25-06's, and I'm afraid that I'd manage to get them mixed up somewhere along the line, and I don't think that would end very well.

FYI you can by 6.5-06 brass made by Quality Cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.