Experiences with USO and NF

MikeD31

Good morning from Kuwait LRH!

I'm looking for some insight and personal experience with a couple long range scopes; specifically the USO ER25 w/MPR and the NF ATACR F1 5-25 w/ MOAR.

Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these scopes? Eye box "forgiveness," eye relief consistency throughout the magnification range, reticle usability from top to bottom of magnification range etc.

I'm not overly concerned with weight as it's going to live on a precision "tactical" rifle that will be used 99% of the time as a range toy and bench queen. Also not too worried about the quality of glass as I feel that at this price point it's really a non-issue. I currently run a NF NXS 5.5-22 with MOAR reticle and am more than satisfied with that optic even tho it is largely regarded as having lesser glass than an S&B.
As far as MOA v MIL that's not an issue either. While it would be nice to have the same reticle as my current set up, the mil system will put me on the same page as my father who runs a mil reticle so it's a toss up between the two.

Any info is good info.

Thanks,
Mike

I have the ER-25 with MPR reticle. It matches my ST-10. Amazing optic. I really like the EREK knob. Even if the clicks aren't as distinct as some and there's 11mils per turn which can make things a little awkward. It's easy to grab and low profile and fast to use. The worst problem I've had with it so far is the rear tube section is pretty short which doesn't lend well to much flexibility with ring placement and the 34mm tube means rings are going to be pretty beefy. The net result is I can't see which rotation I'm on for elevation until I get a couple mils into the 2nd rotation. I'm using Burris Signature XTR rings which are quite beefy. The ER-25 is really not at home for close or mid-range. At least I don't think so. It works fine on the short shots but you don't really experience all of the awesome in it until you're dialing 10mils or so.

Eye relief is pretty flexible in the lower mags, not quite so generous in the higher mags. They tunnel at the lowest powers until you get up to about 10x. As far as consistency, I don't *have* to move my noggin when proned out running from min to max but a very small head position adjustment makes it feel better to my eye. Dunno how helpful that is. A lot of it probably has to do with the fit of my rifle to me.

At 5x the reticle is fine to use as a crosshair but I'd spin at least to 10x to use it for ranging.

The MPR reticle itself is super nifty. For me it took a good bit of practice to get fast with it but it makes very fine ranging really easy. Around 10x it's kinda busy and dense but up at 15x or better it's way better. Hold-offs aren't as easy as with something like a Horus reticle obviously but I prefer it to the Horus types. They're too busy for me.

Yes it's very heavy. Having said that, get the sunshade. If nothing else it puts 4" of "don't touch my objective lens" out there and looks pretty cool.

The digital illumination is the best I've seen. I was able to use it at night against glow sticks at 200m which required a very very low level of illum and it worked really well.

I've got two ATACR and all they are amazing! I live in SC and haven't been able to find a spot greater than 400 yards to try them, but I very impressed with them so far.

I've got a field across the street from me, and according to Google Earth, it is a little over 1,100 yards to the far tree line. I can easily make out the small details on the tree at full zoom. I've got no complaints.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts