Everyone has done it or will do it. Today was my turn.

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 46119

I broke a 6-48 tap off in a blind hole.

It's about 3 threads in.

Been making small stuff for 40 years, mostly radio control 4-40. Never broke a tap before.

Suggestions?

I broke a 6-48 tap off in a blind hole.

It's about 3 threads in.

Been making small stuff for 40 years, mostly radio control 4-40. Never broke a tap before.

Suggestions?

Not sure if this wil apply to the orientation of your break, but I had this happen. Enough of the broken tap was showing to allow me to cut a screwdriver slot in the tap with a Dremel diamond wheel cutter. With the help of some liquid wrench I was able to back it out with a screwdriver.

Not sure if this wil apply to the orientation of your break, but I had this happen. Enough of the broken tap was showing to allow me to cut a screwdriver slot in the tap with a Dremel diamond wheel cutter. With the help of some liquid wrench I was able to back it out with a screwdriver.

Thank you. It's too low for that.

Omega drills work well, but a carbide ball endmill or carbide drill will get through hss taps easily, especially small ones. Both options require a very rigid setup (mill with a collet).

I'e got an OmegaDrill and 1/8 Carbide Ball End Mill on the way.

Thanks everyone.

I think I would have went 3/32" unless you are planning on going up to #8 screws.

1/8" is larger than the drill size for 6-48, and you need to factor in some wobble. I like to use a bit that is just larger than the center of the tap, so it leaves just the flutes behind.

I think I would have went 3/32" unless you are planning on going up to #8 screws.

1/8" is larger than the drill size for 6-48, and you need to factor in some wobble. I like to use a bit that is just larger than the center of the tap, so it leaves just the flutes behind.

Yup. Cancelled the order.

Taking some advice. I made a punch out of O1, hardened and sharpend. Then chipped away at it. Especially the center of the flutes. Pieces just kept coming off. Eventually all of it broke. A little picking and it's clear and the hole is saved.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.