EtronX update 107 smk WOW

Coyboy

Well I finally had some time and good conditions today. I went out back to my range and shot the 107 loads I refered to in a previous post.

load constants: Hor dies, New win brass fls., OAL 2.890, 107 smk. Listed in order of firring, no cleaning between groups, and shot without alowing for any barrel cooling time. About 2 min. between groups to make notes is all.
#1 45gr rel22, vel. ave. 2807fps, es 25, 100yrd 5 shot group, .614 in.

#2 43gr H4350, vel. ave. 2949fps, es 35, 100yrd 5 shot group .560 in.

#3 47 gr H4831, vel. ave. 3030fps, es 28, 100yrd 5 shot group .952 in.

As far as I can tell from running my cleaning rod in the bore twist is 1 in 9.5. So I'm pretty impressed with the accuracy results. I was told I would need at least 1 in 8.

I did very little in brass prep for those loads, because I wasn't expecting much with my twist rate. No flash hole deburring. no primer pocket work. Just fls, trim, chamfer, and load.

So I never shot smk's in any of my guns before here is my questions:

Why did they stabalize in my twist rate?

Do they usually shoot this good with such little effort?

Are all the other steps in percision reloading worth it? ie, neck turning, brass sorting, ect.

Before I shot the smk's I tried 3 different bullets; b-tips, v-max, barnes xlc, and all groups were just around or over the 1 inch mark.

I would never have thought of using smk's until I read the information on this forum. So once again I need some opinions and advice from you guys so I can learn more.

thanks Jim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would try shooting the 107's at longer ranges to see if they are truly stabilizing.
I have a REM VS in 243 that has a 1 in 9.125" twist that shot the 105 AMAX's into .625" at 100yds but was 5" at 600yds and couldn't even get on target at 1000yds.
Wayne

Wayne, Are you *&%#'in me that can happen? So what your say'in is they may destabilize as they slow in velocity?

You're burst'n my bubble I thought I was on to something here. I guess I will do like you suggest, load more and shoot longer.

Question; If I'm Holding a .5 at 100 yards should I not be roughly 2.5 at 500, as long as I'm doing my part? If not what should I be expecting from this load if all is well? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jim,
I didn't mean to burst your bubble, sorry. You asked why did they stabilize in your twist rate and I just wanted to let you know what I experienced. I thought I was doing good when I shot well at 100yds and was really let down when it wouldn't group as well at longer ranges.
In theory 1/2" at 100yds would translate into 2.5" at 500yds but that isn't always so.
I think with a factory rifle if I was getting 1/2" groups at 100yds and 4" at 500yds I'd be happy but that's just me. My custom guns will shoot 2-2.5" at 500yds with me shooting them, I'm sure they would do better with a better trigger squeezer.
I wish you well with your further testing.
Wayne

Wayne, thanks for the help. I'll work on it some more and post back with another update in the future.

Not only can the above happen-- but watch out. I"ve had bullets just starting to stabilize by 200-300. IE shoot a 2-3 inch group at 300. Ho hum. Take same load to 600 then(double the distance) and it shoots 3-4 inch max. Spin yer head a bit more.

End results- you have to test at the distance you are going to use them at to be sure.

I've seen the issues of its great at 100 but sucks at 300. I've even really been smacked by the fact that the round stays supersonic and shoots great at 600 and 800, a bit iffy at 900, and then is all kinds of vertical at 1000 though its still supersonic by a long shot.

Best of luck!! Dont' worry why(who has that much time) just test as needed and it either works or doesnt'

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for that bit of advice. Pre-member here I thought the bullets dirrection was determined once it left the barrel, but that is not always the case. This forum is a great place to learn about such things.

thanks guys, Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.