Load Data for 107 gr SMK and 87gr. Vmax in 243

jab22

Anyone have load data for these pills for use in a sporter (22 in.) bbl with 10 in. twist. Anyone having success shootn the big boy (107gr) in a 10 twist bbl?

Thanks in advance for the wisdom!

I will be trying the 87VMAX myself. I will be using h4350, h414 and varget. If I get the groups shot first, I'll let you know how I fared. I don't think you will be able to stabilize the 107smk.

i was told by 2 experienced shooters that i could shoot groups with a 9 twist using the 107's but they just seem to like an 8 twist better as most get better accuracy with an 8.the 87 v-max will be perfect with the 10.

I doubt the 107's will stabilize on a 1-10" twist. However the 87 Vmax would be a good choice. You might also want to check out the 70 gr. Nosler BT I believe they shoot flatter on paper. Check it out your mileage may vary. Might try the Berger LD 88gr MEF bullets they make a mess out of jack rabbits.

Lance

The 107s are too long to stabilize in a 10 twist with reasonable powder loads (velocity). Think you will find the same true for 105gr A-max and 100 grain high copper content bullets like the Grand Slam, Partition, and some of the Barnes bullets. 100 grain bullets with high lead content, pointed soft points, round nose, should be marginally ok.

243 loads

I tried 107 gr Sierras and 105 gr Bergers out of my 1 in 10" twist X-Bolt just to see if maybe they would work. Turned out to be a waste of powder. 7" groups at 100 yards was what I got. I'm currently shooting the 87 grain V-Max until I rebarrel with a 1 in 8" and then I'll shoot the heavies.

By the way, the 87 gr V-Max makes a great long range coyote bullet. It's a compromise because you don't have the BC of the 105s but it's a whole lot better than the 55s and 70s.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.