Establishing maximum load?

I never actually look for maximum velocity. I look for exceptional accuracy that is at a velocity consistent with the cartridge. By that I mean that I won't settle for an accurate 30Nosler load that shoots at 06 velocity but I'm satisfied with an accurate load that's within 100fps (or so) of book listed max velocities.

In an endless search for the best accuracy, I have encountered signs of excessive pressure and just back down or try a different load altogether. But, I don't actually "look" for maximum loads. Max loads are hard on the gun, hard on the barrel and hard on brass. It's not worth it to me.

However, I do understand the excitement of developing sizzling fast loads. 😁

I find 'MyMax' to meet my sizing plan.
It represents a point where FL sizing would be required in the long run,, and I never choose that.
Typically comes in very near SAAMI max, but I have to see it (from my chamber) to know.

It represents a point where FL sizing would be required in the long run,, and I never choose that.

I made a 7-.378 Weatherby shorted to 2 1/4". I turned the necks just enough so I could fire a Nosler 160 about 3,100 feet per second and not size it at all. I would merely load it and seat a new bullet. It had a couple thousandths grip.