Equipment & component advice

jbo

Well, after reading this forum I'm going to finally take the plunge and start learning how to reload my own ammo. What would you consider great loading book's available for long range and accurate loading? I realize equipment is a subjective thing but I'd like your adivce what you would buy if you had to do it again for the first time. I'm experienced with golf equipment and I know a thousand dollar driver is over kill but good equipment is expensive and want to start out with the good stuff.
I'm looking at the RCBSChargeMaster 1500 Combo scale and powder dispenser for starters. What's your experience with this equipment?

What brass would you suggest? I stopped at Cabelas and they had the Remington and Winchester with a wide differences in prices ?
I'm building a a Rem 7mm Mag and with the advice of this forum going with the 168 Berger VLD. Any other advice on what other accuracies loads and bullets work great for this caliber word be grateful.
How does one find the correct bullet seating depth for a custom action, is there some special inherit deepth to each rifle or a standard depth.
I'm excited to see what works for me..........thanks for your advice.

Here is Part 1 of a comparison of the electronic powder dispensers.
Digital Powder Dispensers -- RCBS ChargeMaster, Lyman 1200 DPS, PACT test review with accuracy, speed, warranty, reliability tests
You can check out part 2 if you are interested.

For starters, I'd honestly suggest the RCBS Rockchucker press, a standard powder thrower, balance beam scale, and all other appropriate stuff. I think for a beginner this will give you good understanding of the loading process and honestly, provides just as good of results as the fancy electronics.

As far a good load books go and getting set up for long range shooting, I don't know of any geared specifically for that application. The Sierra loading manual is what I use for checking charge weights, suitable powders, expected velocities, etc. Then I adjust my equipment for my requirements. Example being how my sizing dies are adjusted for optimal shoulder bump, trim length, etc.

I used to prefer Winchester brass with Rem being second. That has since changed for Lapua brass first and Win and Rem being about equal in my perspective.

As far as bullets and seating depth, there are lots of really good bullets and the Berger VLD's are excellent. To get your seating depth, I use and would recommend the Hornady OAL gauge. 6mmBR.com Reviews of Reloading tools, Bipods Harris Pod-loc, Cleaning Supplies, Redding Wilson Dies, K&M Tools, Neck turning Tools, Shooting Accessories and supplies.

Here is an article regarding the VLD bullets and seating depth.
Optimizing Precision And Accuracy From VLD Bullets

Geb

Geb,

Thanks for your help, will start to read up on all the the information.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts