Encore pistol with 30-06 barrel.

Goose71

Went to local gun shop and picked up a encore with a 15in 30-06 barrel. Does anyone have any experience with this caliber in tc form. I'm not new to reloading but new to pistol loads. Looking for bullet and powder suggestions. Maybe charge weights.

Use the rifle data.
I do not have an 30-06 in a specialty pistol, but I start by using what the rifle data says is best.
What bullet weight are you considering?

I would probably start with H-4350 (with 165's), since I have a lot of it myself.
Varget would be my second choice. I wouldn't hesitate to start with either powder with 165's.
Go to the Hodgdon Reloading website

Start with the fastest burning powder on your reloading page chart. Slow powders will not burn completely in such a short barrel. There goes any velocity you might get plus you will end up with a fire belching dragon. Sako made some Manlicher carbines with twenty in barrels in 338Mag, 300Mag, 7RM, 06 and 308. Those fast powders help in these. I have a 7RM and 308. Short and sweet handling rifles.

Personally, I do not start with the fastest burning powders.
For instance my 7mm Dakota XP-100, with 175 to 180 grain bullets: Retumbo and RL 33 (outstanding speed and accuracy)
H-4831sc for my 284 Winchester XP's
H-4350 for my 6.5-284 pistols
H-4350 for 6 Creed, 6XC, 6.5 Creed, 25 Creed specialty pistols, and I could go on and on.
Varget for my 6 Dasher
H-1000 for my 7 LRM and SAUM's

Went to local gun shop and picked up a encore with a 15in 30-06 barrel. Does anyone have any experience with this caliber in tc form. I'm not new to reloading but new to pistol loads. Looking for bullet and powder suggestions. Maybe charge weights.

What game and at what distances would you like to be able to use it for?

A good solid bottom and muzzle brake will turn the recoil into something very pleasant. You are basically going to be getting a muzzle velocity similar to what you would get in a 308 Winchester rifle. Have you hunted for deer with a 30 caliber before?

.257" isn't .308", but I use a 15" Encore in 25/06 with 100gr Sierras. 51.0 gr IMR4350 gives me 2800fps. Same load of IMR4350 gives 3300fps in a 26" Encore rifle. Some loss of efficiency, yes. Does it matter on marmots? Not one bit. I would expect you could give up 4-500 fps, too. With that drop in velocity, maybe you will turn this into your new cast bullet shooter.

I went with 308. Played with a buddies 3006 barrel and wasn't pleased. The 308 gives up little to a rifle. Recoil, after more years than I like to admit of handguns, it is tame to others I have or have had.

Best load. Pretty much all of my SP's seem to prefer loads very similar if not the same as my rifles. The fast powders in short barrel thoughts just won't die.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.