Elk outfitter

jmac603

I know this has probably been asked too many times to go through it again (I've looked), but I'll ask anyway. I am looking to book an outfitter for 2019. I am interested in hearing anyone's suggestions on outfitters they have used, successful or otherwise. I am not married to the idea of one state, CO has always had my attention. I am open to a different state and I am really looking for a solid backcountry adventure. I am in solid shape (not much altitude here in NH, but I hike regularly in the summer and shoulder seasons). Looking for a rifle hunt. I would prefer to hunt during the rut, or really any time the opportunity to hear bugling presents itself. My budget would be around $5,000 all in. There may be 3 of us, but could very well be just me.

It also looks like I could potentially get in on the group hunt for 2019.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and feel free to ask any questions that you think might be pertinent.

Appreciate the help.

Jason

Here is a hunt offered on another forum through Tim Herald. He is reputable and has done this hunt so it is legit.
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/832100588/m/1141054732
You could also check with John Porter (think Best of the West) at Morning Creek Outfitters. He runs hunts out of Cody and they get some good bulls. I hunted a sheep with him in 2012 and he has a great camp back in about 8 miles. I saw elk several days while sheep hunting.
Bruce

Thank you for the info Bruce. This is probably a bit above my budget. I'm looking for an outfitter around $5k, with total nut around $7k. The below option would probably have me closer to $10k. Just can justify that at this stage of my life. I really appreciate you weighing in. Those hunts look sweet.

Jason

Here is a hunt offered on another forum through Tim Herald. He is reputable and has done this hunt so it is legit.
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/832100588/m/1141054732
You could also check with John Porter (think Best of the West) at Morning Creek Outfitters. He runs hunts out of Cody and they get some good bulls. I hunted a sheep with him in 2012 and he has a great camp back in about 8 miles. I saw elk several days while sheep hunting.
Bruce

You might try looking at the places that are in the Ranching for Wildlife program in CO since they can set their own seasons and a lot have rifle hunting during the September rut. However, I think most are more than the $5K you want to spend. There just aren't many places to hunt elk during the rut with a rifle other than private places like that or in the high country in western WY, but the areas are usually full of grizzlies.

You might try looking at the places that are in the Ranching for Wildlife program in CO since they can set their own seasons and a lot have rifle hunting during the September rut. However, I think most are more than the $5K you want to spend. There just aren't many places to hunt elk during the rut with a rifle other than private places like that or in the high country in western WY, but the areas are usually full of grizzlies.

Thanks for the info. I spoke with another member who gave me a strong lead. I'll be reaching out to the outfitter after Christmas. I'm ok with it not being during the rut. I only rifle hunt and def need to stay within budget.

Jason

Jason, I am on the NY-Vt border near bennington vt and when we went out to Colorado in 2006 with my F250,gas was $2.12 average/gal. We spent $850 round trip on fuel split 2 ways,plus license,plus tips for guides.We spent an extra $2k each on top of the guided hunt price so if $5k is your max for everything you will not get much other than a good drop camp.

I just got back from Harrisburg show and grabbed a lot of info on what I thought were reasonable hunts. If you pm your Ph # we can talk.

Great info. Thank you very much for sharing.

Jason

Jason, I am on the NY-Vt border near bennington vt and when we went out to Colorado in 2006 with my F250,gas was $2.12 average/gal. We spent $850 round trip on fuel split 2 ways,plus license,plus tips for guides.We spent an extra $2k each on top of the guided hunt price so if $5k is your max for everything you will not get much other than a good drop camp.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.