elk in chama new mexicoe area

ann brezinski

saw steves outdoor adventures last night.has any of you hunted that migraton of elk down there ?what are your thoughts and do you need to get on a private ranch to do it. also do you need a guid?
gary b

saw steves outdoor adventures last night.has any of you hunted that migraton of elk down there ?what are your thoughts and do you need to get on a private ranch to do it. also do you need a guid?
gary b
I hunted Chacon NM with an outfitter, Southeast of Chama. Saw hundreds if not 1000+ between private and NF land. Only had private tag tho. Worked out great.

saw the show steves outdoor adventures and they were hunting there.on an average what would you say the age of the elk were and who way yourguid.
gary

saw the show steves outdoor adventures and they were hunting there.on an average what would you say the age of the elk were and who way yourguid.
gary
Most were mature cows I don't know how to judge age on elk. Saw plenty of bulls but we were holding out for 350 class. I got excited early by the saber tine on my bull and a perfect 600 yard shot. Sierra Blanca outfitting. Peter Romero the owner and Outfitters Norman and Philip busked their butts for me. I was the only one in camp.

Attachments

• 276DC9A6-0E5F-415B-B386-6CB32A356312.jpeg
    276DC9A6-0E5F-415B-B386-6CB32A356312.jpeg
    814.5 KB · Views: 229
  • D1B05EF2-2B55-4801-A8F8-73B325AC544E.jpeg
    D1B05EF2-2B55-4801-A8F8-73B325AC544E.jpeg
    649.7 KB · Views: 253
  • 19455316-88C6-4B31-9DF1-D57489244024.jpeg
    19455316-88C6-4B31-9DF1-D57489244024.jpeg
    511.7 KB · Views: 218
  • BF930B9F-C22C-44EC-8A64-D2270AD8D6A5.jpeg
    BF930B9F-C22C-44EC-8A64-D2270AD8D6A5.jpeg
    437.3 KB · Views: 226
Steve (West) was hunting on the Quinlan Ranch about 7 miles West of Chama. I hunted the Ranch from 1990 until 2011. It was an awesome experience with no trouble taking a 6X6, and filling your tag was easily accomplished the first day of your hunt if you chose to do so. 300 class Bulls were commonplace. It was high country, and the altitude kicked butt if you weren't acclimated, but we hunted off of horses which made getting around a lot easier. The first weekend I hunted there in 1990, I counted over 1100 Elk from opening morning (Saturday) until I killed
my Bull Sunday evening. 95% of the hunters returned every year, and it was "The hunt of a lifetime" every year. I never missed a year, even in 2005 when I lost my house to Katrina in Slidell, La. Unfortunately, the Quinlan family was forced to sell the Ranch, but the new owners made lots of improvements. No more horseback, all 4 wheel drive trucks. The prices steadily increased until they reached 10 to 12 grand. The Ranch house (Garcia Cabin) offers first class accomodations, with private rooms and showers, and meals to rival the finest restaurants. They just priced themselves out of my budget (Retired LEO), but Steve still offers hunts on the Ranch and guides there.
I continued hunting the area with the same Outfit that ran the original Ranch (Brian and Brad Quinlan), but just hunt different private Ranches in the area. This year 2020 will be my 31st year hunting the Chama area.

Last edited:
Unit 4 is essentially all private...….there is very little public land but that unit is a Resident only unit UNLESS you are hunting PRIVATE...…..vast majority of elk taken are 270 - 320" bulls with a handful of bulls bigger.....this is not a trophy unit and a 350" bull is very unrealistic, unless on a large ranch that manages their local herd very well, and those hunts are usually $8500+. If after quantity and not quality, this unit may be for you...….but if you are going to spend $7k+, you'd be much better served in a different unit IMO.

Last edited:
Unit 4 is essentially all private...….there is very little public land but that unit is a Resident only unit UNLESS you are hunting PRIVATE...…..vast majority of elk taken are 270 - 320" bulls with a handful of bulls bigger.....this is not a trophy unit and a 350" bull is very unrealistic, unless on a large ranch that manages their local herd very well, and those hunts are usually $8500+. If after quantity and not quality, this unit may be for you...….but if you are going to spend $7k+, you'd be much better served in a different unit IMO.
Yes, the main public land in the area are Humphries WMA which is West of the Quinlan Ranch about 8 miles, and the Sargent WMA which is on the east boundary of the Quinlan Ranch. It is draw only, and for some reason, Non residents cannot draw for a Bull tag (unless it has changed recently). Draw odds are really slim, at one time they only allowed 10 hunters per split (a 5 day hunt), and no motorized travel allowed, no overnight allowed on the WMA, except camping in the approved camp area at the entrance to the Management area. Access to Sargent is one gate on the North end of Chama, and the WMA goes about 7 miles back, ending at the Colorado border. So, if you want to hunt that back area, you have a 7 mile hike in, and lots of hiking/packing to get your Elk out, or make friends that have horses.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.