Elk hunting colorado clothing gear.

The start out cold advice is good. If you don't, you will be sweating in nothing flat. I don't like hot feet. I wear 400 gram boots all through hunting season. Light socks early, and as it gets colder, I go to heavier wool socks and if need be, I use the hot hands heated insoles in my boots (if I am sitting lots). I layer and wear synthetics/wool. Good waterproof breathable pants/jacket for staying dry and cutting the wind are important. I am the most mismatched girl in the woods, but I don't buy into the system thing. I have a pair of Sitka ascent pants because no one makes comfortable pants for women with useful pockets. I wore them through the entire season, starting with no long johns to wearing with extra heavy long johns in 4th rifle. I wear a down vest, and on the coldest days, if my hands, feet, and head are warm, the down vest is all I need. If it is windy, I use a Gortex jacket. I wear ragg wool mittens with thin liners for extreme cold. Sometimes, I wear a wool pullover sweater as well. Just keep experimenting and stay away from cotton! I always carry an extra pair of socks as well.

The anti perspirant helps, boot dryers and a 2nd pair of boots. I haven't tried the suggestion to bring a second pair of socks and change them out in the field but makes sense.

That firstlight stormtight jacket sure is spendy!!!! I'm sure it's nice, but I'd find a less costly alternative. Ultimately, they are ALL like wearing a large trash bag with sleeves and a hood - regardless of the price.

I have/use a lightweight Mountain Hardwear jacket that works well when I'm winter camping/snowshoeing, but isn't a nifty camo pattern for hunting.

Took advantage of the deep discount over the weekend and ordered a stormtight in dry earth (can use outside hunting too in that color).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.