Elk Hunt Hammer Bullet Terminal Ballistics

HammerBullets

Max, a Large Animal Veterinarian from S. Utah, listened to the Weatherby Hammer Bullets Podcast and became very interested in the conversation. He contacted Steve and selected the 110gr Hammer Hunter bullet for his Weatherby 6.5 RPM.

He settled on a load using 67gr of RL26 @ 3447 FPS. First trip out Max stated, "That was the easiest load development that I have ever done!" Second trip out he confirmed 450 yard zero.

He had 2 cow elk mitigation tags but was very hesitant in using the 110 gr bullet from his 6.5 RPM. He traditionally hunts elk with 7mm and larger 308 calibers with heavier bullets.

Here is Max hunt and terminal ballistics report, "The first cow was broadside at approximately 230 yrds. I put the shot right behind the shoulder, she wilted, and went right to the ground. I was totally amazed! The second cow was approximately 250 yrds. Shot placement was again behind the shoulder. She tried to follow the herd, took a few steps and stopped. I hit her again. She dropped immediately. The first cow was a pass-through. Second cow I recovered both bullets just under the hide on the off side.

The bullets performed as designed. The petals had been shed. The back half, with the flat surface was recovered. One bullet weighted 58.7 gr, the other weighed 58.0 gr. Internal damage was amazing. I was very impressed with bullet performance! I have seldom seen elk go down that quickly. I have seen them go down that quick with my 28 Nosler running a 175 gr AB-LR, but I had no idea a 110 gr 6.5 bullet would do that.
"

38C81853-6C67-4DE1-B5EE-BCF7D3500FCE.png

Max concluded this hunt by cleaning his rifle. After using a box and a half of ammo he states, "I was very surprised at the minimal amount of fouling. I have used a lot of Reloader 26 and the only difference would be the bullet and there was almost no fouling."

Max also has antler-less deer and pronghorn tags and will continue to test the Weatherby 6.5 RPM and 110 gr Hammer Hunter Bullet. Good luck on your next hunt.