Elevation great windage sucks

mustfish

Shooting 616 yards. 6.5 Creedmoor. First time past 300 yards for this rifle. Fired one shot and made a 3" low and 5" right correction. Almost no wind and range is tree line sheltered. 2 and 3rd shot were almost bullseye about 2" apart. 4th shot center but 3 1/2" high. 5th shot elevation good 4" left. 6th shot 5" right. 9" difference windage between last two shots. I'm shooting a cool barrel that is suppressed. 22x Nightforce NXS that has passed a tall target test. When you break a shot with the crosshairs perfectly aligned and end up with a 9" windage spread it makes you feel like you'd be better off throwing rocks.

Shooting 616 yards. 6.5 Creedmoor. First time past 300 yards for this rifle. Fired one shot and made a 3" low and 5" right correction. Almost no wind and range is tree line sheltered. 2 and 3rd shot were almost bullseye about 2" apart. 4th shot center but 3 1/2" high. 5th shot elevation good 4" left. 6th shot 5" right. 9" difference windage between last two shots. I'm shooting a cool barrel that is suppressed. 22x Nightforce NXS that has passed a tall target test. When you break a shot with the crosshairs perfectly aligned and end up with a 9" windage spread it makes you feel like you'd be better off throwing rocks.
There are any number of things that can cause this from inconsistent loads to inconsistent trigger pull, to anticipating recoil.

Think about it for just a minute. While this would leave a lot of live prairie dogs standing on top of their mounds laughing at you it would still produce a dead deer every time so dont feel too bad.

Just another thought, this could easily be the result of just not leaning into the bipod or not pulling the butt into your shoulder well allowing for just a little bit of lateral movement when you are touching off the shot.

I know what you mean and I'm sure for me it's a lack of practice that is causing it. Recoil management and grip are what I'm focusing on. Time and practice will tell.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.