elevation adj. w/ turrets and reticle

youngbuck

I'm waiting on a Savage 110 FCP HS in 338LM. It is around 10lbs unscoped. I'm going to try and keep it to a managable weight. Ive been thinking about scopes since I had an Edge planned well over a year ago. I want something with more than 18x on the top end. I would prefer a FFP if the reticle was't too heavy. I'm also used to MOAs. All my other LR rifles have MOA adjustments and/or MOA reticles.

I asked Premier if they were planning on a 5-25 light tactical, they said nothing was in the works.

I don't need an illuminated so I asked vortex if they had a higher magnification Viper HS brewing(HS has more internal adjustment than the PST) That was a no go.

Nightforce is still an option, but it would be heavy, as would the Razor, but both would have plenty of elevation.

IOR stuff seems pretty limited in elevation adjustment.

The Savage 110BA came with a 20MOA rail, I'm expecting that on my 110 FCP.

If I go with the 6-24 FFP PST, I'll have about +/- 52 MOA of max elevation with the 20MOA rail (at 5k ft elevation my max is real close to drop for 1 mile).

If I end up with less elevation range or I want to play at 2k or 1 mile at lower elevation could I use the reticle for the aditional MOA (an available 30MOA)? I would assume yes, but I have never done that.

On a side note the reticle subtension on the PST FFP for the thickness of the reticle is .18MOA I think I can deal with less than 2" @ 1000yds.

Any suggestions or comments?

Last edited:
the short answer is yes. but i seriously doubt you'll have 30 moa on the higher powers with a FFP scope. this is one of those advantages a SFP scope has.

Thanks Dave.
I should have close to 30MOA from center(radius) or a 60MOA diameter FOV. Scope specs say 5.1' @100yd FOV, figure 60" @ 100 yds is pretty close to 60MOA. In all reality I would probably never need anymore than 50 MOA adjustment, but I would sure like to see what it is like past 1500yds.

Yes, how much elevation you can use from the reticle of a high powered scope is limited by its FOV--FFP or SFP has nothing to do with it.

I have found the PST's have slightly less FOV than advertised, my 6-24 PST having around 4.3' at 100 YDs on 24X. This gives around 7 mils (~24 MOA) of reticle, depending upon how much elevation you have cranked in (the reticle won't be perfectly centered). That will be the same for FFP or SFP.

Of course, the HUGE advantage of the FFP in this instance is that if 24 MOA is not enough, all you do is turn the power down a bit to make more reticle appear and it will still be perfectly calibrated no matter what power you end up with.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.