Electro Chemical Machined rifling

Bob Wright

Back in the 70's and 80's we machined a variety of gas turbine blisks, compressor blisks and related parts using this ECM process. Since we had a lot of heavy metal sludge like cobalt, we abandoned the process due to environmental issues.
Surprising to see a new barrel company in England utilizing this old specialized technology.
'Pendragon Precision' (on Facebook).
Apparently the barrel bore and rifling is carefully choked all the way to the muzzle.
The process is essentially de-plating to make a form, in this case, rifling. Using graphite form tools and pumping electrolyte thru the barrel and around the electrically charged metal and the process ends up being a non-contact machining process, similar to EDM. No imparted stress to rifle the barrel.
Just need plenty of amps and some good engineering.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230314-194710_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230314-194710_Facebook.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 197
  • Screenshot_20230314-194723_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230314-194723_Facebook.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 200
It was used to great effect and tolerances were typically true. Exposed to it in the aerospace industry. Since there is no mechanical stress induced, the relief of drilling the hole should result in a remarkably stable blank as long as the exterior contour is done first. Interested in seeing where this goes, if anywhere.

It's interesting that they mention value, I wouldn't expect a barrel made that way to be cheap. Every caliber and every twist needs a different electrode and I think they are somewhat consumable. I know the machines are expensive and I believe the process is slow...