Eld-x performance (grafic)

tyfo

I recently hunted mule deer in south central Oregon. On this hunt I was using my 7mm weatherby mag with the new 162 gr hornady eld-x bullet. These bullets have been proving to be fairly easy to load for and produce nice groups at varying ranges in multiple rifles. The pictures that I attached are of the entrance wound and exit wound on a mule deer at 390 yards with the bullet traveling around 2660 fps. Not pictured is the devastating damage that was done to the vitals. The bullet entered the left side of the animal low in the chest scoring a direct hit to the heart. As you can see the entrance wound is small which indicates to me no sign of premature expansion. The bullet then opened up and completely destroyed the heart and caused damage to the other organs around it. It then hit the right side ribs on the way out and left a nice fat exit wound. When the bullet exited the chest cavity unfortunately it hit the right leg and blew a hole aproximately 2 inches wide completely through it (sorry not pictured). Not a single piece of the bullet was recovered which is surprising given that this bullet is supposed to be relatively soft. I'm no expert but I really liked the results from this bullet (minus the front leg damage). It went in small, opened up wide in the vitals, and left a nice big exit wound. All good things in my book.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 122
For some reason I can only post one picture at a time so here is the exit wound.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 114
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.