Elbow patches?

bbckfh

I'm looking forward to your advice here... Search didn't reveal much.

I've recently changed the wardrobe a bit, and come to appreciate the benefits of modern down and other puffy materials.

I mostly hunt the Eastern woods now. Hunting here is wet and frigid where I usually have much heavier layers on. But I dream of the days I can make it to my buddy's place in Wyoming.

That same Columbia jacket that I like so much in the dry cold isn't so great when sharp things poke it. So in situations where I don't need the tougher overlayer, has anybody added nylon or leather patches to the jacket's elbows?

If you do this use only synthetic suede patches so you can wash your jacket with down specific soap. AND... use the smallest needle and finer thread to keep down from migrating out the needle holes.

What you might also like is knee patches of the waterproof type when kneeling in snow or wet leaves, etc. My 5.11 brand nylon pants have pockets inside of the double knees to receive the 5.11 closed cell neoprene foam pads.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Like where your head's at. I was debating the efficacy of sewing vs adhesives.

Not sure any of the adhesives would hold up to the abuses of wet grass and temp changes, coupled with the flexing of elbows.

I feel ya on the knee pads. Absolutely need them in my cammies now.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.