Ear injury

Jason

Hello Everyone, Don't post much, hardly need to as there is so much good info to be had! Anyway got a question. Was out deer hunting 3 months ago and my mate shot his .270 too close to my right ear. Had that before rings for a while etc.
But this time it just did'nt feel right afterwards. Turns out I have lost 1% of my hearing (not a big deal) but have this reverberation in my ear with certain noises. Its really annoying, the ENT doctor said it would slowly go but 3 months later its still there.
Sounds like a broken speaker. It is worse in the cab of my truck or car with radio on etc, I have to keep the volume very low. High pitch sounds seem to be the worse and with 2x under 5's you can imagine the fun! I have no tinnitus ( a tiny bit sometimes but really have to listen for it) I am 43 and have looked after my ears quite well I thought. Anyone else ever had this happen? Thanks very much.

I had it happen it took six months for it to go away, but I know there is some permanent damage also I have a cracking sound in my ear especially when laying down but I also run large displacement timber saws with no hearing protection. So I don't know for sure which caused the most damage. The gun fire was a 50bmg about 20 feet from me and I had my back to it didn't know he was going to fire.

My ears are a mess. Hunted and shot my whole life without ear protection and was a working carpenter, Framing Contractor, lots of noise. Now there is a faint noise I here all the time sounds like a quad 4 wheeler way off.

Had to put a old horse down 3 weeks ago so I grabbed my 357. Anyway did not put protection on and now my left ear is acting weird (faint clicking noise). A little better then it was right after but still annoying. I'm old enough now that I really don't give a crap but if younger it would not be a good deal.

I had my ear rung but no where as much as you describe.

I would find something to attenuate all sound in that ear. A foam plug, a game ear turned way down. Just something to dampen out big highs, big lows and volume.

I also has my drum punctured surfing and it was all the same plus loss of balance.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.