EAR PROTECTION?

Larry, after shooting many thousands of rounds in competition, p. dogs, chucks, and ground squirrels I shoot with the Peltor Tac6 and a pair of ear plugs at the same time. My ears ring, but not enough to be a bother all the time. I do shoot a lot of big boomers with muzzle breaks at this time, so I think that the over kill on ear protection is adequate.

About 10 years ago, I shot a bull elk with a 7 mag with out ear protection with a gun that had a Vias Muzzle break on it...bad news to say the least! I was wearing my pair of Tac 6's, but had stopped to take a wizz, pulled off the muffs, when a big bull elk ran across in front of me. I shot at him three times while I wet myself, finally killing him on the third shot. My ears have rung ever since.

I wear the Tac-6's all the time when I am hunting now,even when I take a wizz, it is great because I probably hear what is going on in the woods 3 times better than the average human with normal hearing!

I turkey hunt a bunch and shoot several every year. I hunt with an 835 that is ported. I tried walker game ears but didn't like them. Looks like the muff would really get in the way.

Archer

I also use hearing protection when hunting. 3 years ago, I saw a great buck crossing a field. I had a Browning 300 WM with the BOSS and ended up firing all 4 rounds before I put him down. When I got back on my 4-wheeler to go to the buck, I couldn't even hear the bike. 5 days later, I finally got the hearing back in my left ear.

Take care,

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.