E-tips for 257 Weatherby

H-870 and A-8700 have been discontinued. Magpro is a ball powder. From my data with numerous rifles it shows to be slower than 7828 and very near Re-25. It definitely fits between those two somewhere and nearer RE-25.

Good to know, thanks. 7828SSC and Re25 were the two I've been considering the most. Is there a starting load you would recommend for the Magpro?

Thank you so much for your help L.T.L.R. I was hoping for multiple replies, but I think you've helped to get me on the right track. Good luck in the field and good shooting at the range.

75.5 grains magpro is max in my rifle. 73 was very easy on the brass at 3583 fps. 73 grains of 7828 shot 3643 fps. 75 grains reloader 25 shot 3642 fps. 76 grains H-1000 shot 3631 fps. 77.5 grains retumbo shot 3715 fps. Those are pretty much all near max loads after working up in a mk 5 rifle with freebore. 26" barrel. Hope this helps.

Koonazz,

I'm sure that nosler makes the .257" accubonds in the 110gr. I didn't know if you knew that, if you like the performance of the accubonds. It's only ten gr more in bullet weight, and shouldn't make much difference in velocity. Hope that helps.

Yes I'm aware of the 110 gr Accubonds. A good friend of mine is developing a load with his 257 and the 110s. Our plan is to try different recipes and compare results. I know that no two rifles are generally gonna digest the same load to the same satisfaction. What we're trying to establish is bullet performance. If one really outshines the other then that's what we'll go with. Kinda like fishin, we're gonna throw 2 different baits and see which one they want. Thanks for the info.

The 100 grain swift bullet is .429bc compared to the 110 AB at .418bc. I can shoot the .429bc bullet about 150 fps faster than the .418 bullet. The swift is the best performing lead core bullet on the market and can take the high velocities of the 257 wby. I like the accubond bullets and shoot them in several calibers. But in 257 the swift scirroco outperforms the accubond because of the higher bc going faster and a much tougher bullet at extreme velocities. That is why I mentioned the swift to try for this application.

You make a very strong case for the Swift. I may have to break down and give em a try. They were very accurate in my 7 mag, how about the 257? Do they compare with the TSXs accuracy wise?

L T L R,

You seem to have quite a bit of experience with the barnes and the ttsx. My question is do you have any experience with the MRX from barnes? And, if so would you choose one over the other and why? I'm possibly considering using one or the other to try when I get around to reloading for one of my deer rifles. From what I gather the MRX is denser and won't intrude as much into the powder space as much. Any thoughts?

I have not tried any of the mrx bullets because of the poor bc. I can not understand there terminology. They market it as maximum range x bullet or mrx yet it is made of material that makes it a shorter bullet. Shorter bullet equals lower bc and less range not maximum. Maybe somebody smarter than me at Barnes has it figured out.

I have never had a problem with the ttsx in any caliber being to long for any of my chamberings. So I never had a reason to shoot the mrx. I just can't figure the marketing scheme behind that bullet. I can't see spending the kind of dollars it takes to come out with a new bullet on the mrx. There are several directions I think they could have gone in to spend that kind of money and get a much greater return from the investment. Like producing higher bc bullets to keep up with there competition like other manufacturers who see a much more educated group of reloaders coming along looking for the true maximum range bullet that has dependable performance on game.

I think understanding this fact is why Berger has been able to get the market share they have in a relatively short period of time. They said "ok hunters what do you want" we said" high bc bullets with target accuracy that we can use dependably in hunting situations". Thus a popular bullet manufacturer.

I do see your point on that. It appears on the cutaways that the nose cavity on the ttsx is larger than the nose cavity on the original tsx. I'm wondering in that case does the ttsx expand quicker or more easily do to the larger nose cavity? And if so, would that be a better choice over the regular tsx for longer range situations where the velocity would be lower? It also appears that way on the e-tip too.

I shoot the ttsx because of the higher bc. I have never recovered one to see what the performance is. The insides of the animals and exit wounds tell me they are expanding properly but I would like to recover one.

Yes, I probably should try the 120TTSX in my 264 mag before next fall's WY Antelope hunt.

I sure would like to see a slightly heavier .257 bullet with a sharper profile to get a higher
BC, like Barnes did with the 168gr. 30 cal. I would love that for my 25-06AI.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.